Hi, my name is Misha! I was told that I would not be eligible for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Misha! I was told that I would not be eligible for PIP

Options
Misha
Misha Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi , First time on here , hope everybody is good . I have been unwell for 7 years with a long term chronic health condition , I use to work 35 hours a week 7 years ago but was reduced to 18 hours a week 7 years ago when I became ill and have been struggling with my health and finances ever since . I was told that I would not be eligible for PIP as I worked 18 hours a week ( I only do office work ) . Please can I get some advice regarding if someone like me would be entitled to PIP .
Thank You.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hello @Misha and welcome to the community :) 

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

I have moved your thread over to our PIP category and edited the title a bit. As PIP isn't means tested, your eligibility to receive it doesn't depend on whether you work or not. Instead it is more focussed on how your conditions impact you compared to the PIP descriptors which are used to award points.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Misha
    Options
     @Ross_Scope Thank You for your help   :) 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As Ross has said, you can work and claim PIP @Misha :) I'm wondering whether the person who told you that might have been referring to the fact that the work you do shouldn't contract the reasons for which you claim PIP. Does that make sense? 

Do you mind me asking whether you claim any other benefits? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Misha
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I don't get any other benefits . Before I became ill my Role was a scheme supervisor for a Housing association , I did cleaning , Gardening and office work . I have a home which came with the job , which I'll lose if I leave.  I have no savings as I spent what little I had on private healthcare when I became ill . Now I can  only do Office work from my home and only do two call outs to collect some data every week , which lasts no more than hour which My Father brings me by car too . I work 18 hours a week which I struggle with and have never regained my previous health . 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Dependant on your circumstances you may be eligible for other benefits like uc for example 

You can work and claim uc it's designed to top up those on low income 

Try using a benefits calculator found on gov website which will calculate any benefits you maybe entitled to 

Another option I'd to get a full benefits check from welfare rights or cab 

You can claim pip and work it's all about how your condition affects you against the descriptors 
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Misha and welcome to the online community.  You should definitely have a look at the information that Ross has mentioned.  Entitlement to PIP isn't by reference to any particular illness or condition it is determined by how an individual manages, or doesn't manage, to carry out various activities. The fact that you work doesn't prevent you from being eligible for PIP and as its not a mean tested benefit your earnings are not taken into account.  The link Ross has given gives a lot of information about PIP but if, after reading it, you still need help please do feel free to come back to us.  Your local Citizens Advice or other similar organisation may be able to help you and provide further support if you need help with completing the PIP form. 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Misha
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Misha. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to help, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.