Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Is having a carer going to benefit any decision?

Options
bd1
bd1 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited July 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
I get carers allowance for my 18 year old son and have just filled in his UC health assessment form, is having a carer going to benefit any dicision, he can't leave house and hasn't for 3 years due to mental health and is being assessed for autism 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,423 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    No, having a carer or claiming a disability benefit doesn't automatically entitle someone to limited capability for work. You can see the descriptors here for LCWRA https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @bd1 :) How are you doing today? 

Thank you for joining, and for telling us about your situation. I hope that poppy123456's reply has helped to clear that up for you a little. Have you had a chance to take a look at the link? 

It seems as though your son is really struggling with his mental health at the moment. Is he receiving any support to help him manage his mental health? Is his GP aware that he hasn't left the house for 3 years?

I hope that getting assessed for autism is a positive experience for him. How's he feeling about it?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • bd1
    bd1 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Help stopped from camhs when he reached 18, been referred to adult mental health but waiting list is long, 5 month wait for second autism assessment, if they say he is capable of work don't know what we will do, he won't be seen by anybody even on zoom and won't come downstairs if front door is open, just stressing me out, but thanks for your help 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Waiting lists can be really quite long unfortunately, and the transition from children/adolescent to adult mental health services can be less than smoothe @bd1! I hope that he can access mental health services soon. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.