Hi, my name is aimee1978! What housing is realistically available to me? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is aimee1978! What housing is realistically available to me?

Options
aimee1978
aimee1978 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am disabled on crutches. I have lived here for 7 years in privately rented property. My landlord has decided to sell it. So I only have until September to get out. What is realistically out there in my area of Suffolk to house me with my two cats? 
I can't get a guarantor as my parents are retired and don't earn the needed 3 x the months rent to be a guarantor. 
I keep being asked to pay either 6 or 12 months rent in advance. And told no pets. 

Comments

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't know much about living in rented property but have you contacted your local council and told them your situation?

Also could Shelter help you or give you some advice?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @aimee1978 :) How are you doing today? 

I can imagine this must be quite a stressful situation. I'd second the advice above to perhaps try speaking to your local authority to see if they can help. That being said, waiting times for housing can be very long. 

Many landlords will ask for either a guarantor or large chunks of money up front unfortunately, especially from those on a lower income. There are some that don't ask for this, or who'd be happy with another arrangement however, so I'd encourage you to continue looking around and asking landlords how flexible they can be.

You may also want to read this page on the Parliament website about whether landlords can prevent you from having a pet.

Along with Shelter, as ShirleyW mentioned, I'm wondering whether Habinteg might be able to help. 

If you were unable to find another suitable home before September, would you be able to stay temporarily with your parents, or another family member or friend? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • thara9643
    thara9643 Posts: 69 Connected
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.