Hi, my name is sk1986! Just received my MR letter for PIP, I still have 0 points — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is sk1986! Just received my MR letter for PIP, I still have 0 points

Options
sk1986
sk1986 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited July 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I just received my MR letter for PIP. I still have 0 points. So distraught!

I have had neck and chest pain for 9 years. I have had a recent positive MRi scan for neural foraminal stenosis at c4-c5 & c6-c7 last year and looking forward to much needed consultation from a neurologist at Royal Orthopaedic next month.

My MR response took 2 days day to arrive after posting special delivery. I feel that this was dealt with some degree of haste. Anwyay, I sent them a MRI scan report and for reasons unknown to me, they have an opinion that i am independent. I clearly stated reasons with examples in both the original form and MR letter that i have limited capability and very dependent on my wife. 

I want to give up. But reading many forums, i feel i am not alone. Should i appeal for tribunal or wait for the outcome of my hospital consultation. My one month deadline is week before my appointment. Thanks I appreciate any feedback!
Tagged:

Comments

• gray1
    gray1 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    I personally would appeal. this will give you more time to get evidence that is needed. Mri results can take a while to come through. 
    That's my opinion
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good Morning @sk1986 welcome to our great group.
    I'm sorry to hear you have been let down with your pip claim, i am sure one of our in the know members will let you know what to do, when they wake up ha ha.
    In the mean time, have a look around the site, you can join in any of the chats,debats,games or ask your own question.
    Any problems just ask.
  • gray1
    gray1 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Sorry miss read but I would still appeal. The more evidence you have the better it is
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's not unusual for the MR decision to remain the same. Less than 30% of claimants have the decision changed in their favour at this stage.
    It's completely understandable that on any internet forum you'll mostly only read the bad stories. If someone's had a decision they're happy with, they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their stories. The majority of people claim successfully, without any problems.
    An MRI scan report isn't really the best evidence to send because it doesn't tell them anything about how your conditions affect you against any of the PIP descriptors.
    sk1986 said:
    I clearly stated reasons with examples in both the original form and MR letter that i have limited capability and very dependent on my wife. 

Were they real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each activity for every descriptor that applies to you? Lots of people misunderstand what this is and write assertions instead. Assertions will not help a claim.
    Real world world examples should include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    When requesting the Tribunal you don't have to send extra information at the time. Provided the evidence is related to how your conditions affected you at the time the assessment took place then you can send it at a later date. Provided it arrives with HMCTS before the date of the hearing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sk1986
    Options
    Thanks @gray1 @SueHeathi appreciate it 🙂
  • sk1986
    Options
    @poppy123456 wow i appreciate the advice. The real world examples i gave was how my wife helps me against the pip descriptors. Not my assumptions as to how i need help. I was very clear to explain in every section how i am dependent on my wife. It doesnt make sense as the decision made in their MR was i dont use aids. Isnt my wife my aid if she helps??
  • sk1986
    Options
    What is the usual estimate waiting time for tribunal hearings?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sk1986 said:
     The real world examples i gave was how my wife helps me against the pip descriptors. Not my assumptions as to how i need help.

That's not real world examples. Real world examples is the difficulty you have/had the last time you attempted that acitivity. An assumption would be something like "you can't do x because of y."
    sk1986 said:
     It doesnt make sense as the decision made in their MR was i dont use aids. Isnt my wife my aid if she helps??
    Your wife is not an aid, an aid would be a perching stool, hand rails in the bathroom, walking sticks/crutches etc. Your wife would be classed as either supervision or assistance. However, if they think an aid can reasonably be used then you'll score points for this, rather than needing assistance/supervision.
    Have a read of this. https://pipinfo.net/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sk1986
    Options
    Hi Poppy123456,

Your advice is very insightful into how the wording can change everything between i cant or i tried.

So for an example, if i said i cant cook or cut vegetables and sustain the position for too long. My wife has to help as i have weakness and when parathesia sets in is a danger to my hand. Is that a real life example. Im paraphrasing here but i wrote something like that in the form. 
  • sk1986
    Options
    This is so stressful as its so obvious to me as i live through it. I feel hopeless at times. I wish i found this forum last year 🙃
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Really glad to hear you are glad you have joined our forum @sk1986. It is really positive that you have found us helpful. Thanks for your feedback.

I can hear it is stressful as it is so obvious to you as you live through it. What might help to make this feel more manageable for you at the moment?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A real examples should include when you did the task eg date , where you were , who was with you   what was you trying to do , how did you do it , what support you needed and why and the outcome and consequences 
  • sk1986
    Options
    @janer1967 thats very helpful. There is no right or wrong way to express yourself but the overall advice here is to be objective and clear. I was full of emotion and subjective. Oh well
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sk1986 said:
    Hi Poppy123456,

Your advice is very insightful into how the wording can change everything between i cant or i tried.

So for an example, if i said i cant cook or cut vegetables and sustain the position for too long. My wife has to help as i have weakness and when parathesia sets in is a danger to my hand. Is that a real life example. Im paraphrasing here but i wrote something like that in the form. 

Why is it a danger? what exactly happened the last time you attempted that activity? Just telling them you can't do something because of weakness etc etc isn't enough. Has there been any accidents? If so what happened, where were you, did your wife see it? for preparing a meal, would a perching stool help? if not, why not?
    You need to do the same thing with all other acitivities that you think apply.
    When you request the Tribunal you just need to give a brief reason why you disagree with the decision. Everything else can be done later.
    If you can get representation then even better. To see what advice agency is local to you, check here. https://advicelocal.uk/

• sk1986
    Options
    @L_Volunteer. Thank you so much. I feel overwelmed at the moment. I guess over the next few days i feel more positive. Its such a shame the mental health lead at my surgery is so hard to get hold of. I need to channel all this and find the right advice. I have severe anxiety and really made me furious that the assessor said i was positive and good eye contact. My parents taught me its good manners to look at people when you are speaking 🤔 
  • sk1986
    Options
    @poppy123456 it all makes sense now. I feel much better as i can reaccess for tribunal. Thank you
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sk1986 glad you got the advise you were seeking - as i say it's a great forum.
  • sk1986
    Options
    Hi @SueHeath oh yes 100%. These forums help massively!!
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @sk1986. It is the very least you deserve, especially in the tough times that you have described. 

Sorry to hear you feel overwhelmed at the moment, that sounds really tough. Is there anything that usually helps things to feel more manageable for you when you feel overwhelmed?

On Monday, you mentioned that you thought the next few days would help. How have the days been treating you so far? 

How frustrating that the assessor seemed to say you were positive and had good eye contact, almost ignoring that you have severe anxiety and you are struggling to get hold of the mental health lead at your surgery.

If you need any support with this in the meantime, you might find Anxiety UK helpful, and we are always here listening to you too if you want an ear  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • sk1986
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer, I have been ok thanks. I feel more positive now thanks to all the good advice&vibes from all the lovely people in this forum. I appreciate your advice and i will get in touch with Anxiety UK 🙂

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.