Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Are people in the income related ESA support group still entitled to the cost of living payment?

Options
mollypeppa
mollypeppa Community member Posts: 42 Connected
Hello could someone please clarify something about the cost of living payment?

I claim ESA joint claim with my wife, the claim is in my name, wife is appointee,, it is ESA income related (support group) . Are people in the support group still entitled to the cost of living payment? It's normal ESA not new style, I did read those in the support group of the New style ESA don't get the payment. My wife also claims carers allowance for her daughter who lives with us, carers aren't allowed the cost of living payment, but because it's a joint claim for ESA should we be entitled to it because she still classed as getting a means tested benefit?

My wife's daughter Also gets ESA normal support group,so she should be definitely entitled to it, and lives with us, I also claim pip and so does my wifes daughter, there's probably a lot of discussion about this but if someone could clarify the above we would be most greatful.

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    You're making it more complicated than it is. Your ESA is Income Related so you're entitled to the first payment of £326 between you and your wife due between 14th - 31st July.
    Your wife's daughter will also receive it. Her daughter and yourself will also receive the £150 each due in September. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mollypeppa
    Options
    You're making it more complicated than it is. Your ESA is Income Related so you're entitled to the first payment of £326 between you and your wife due between 14th - 31st July.
    Your wife's daughter will also receive it. Her daughter and yourself will also receive the £150 each due in September. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

Thank you, it was just the support group bit that was wondering that's all.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The cost of living payment is paid to those on Income Related ESA, regardless of which group you're in. Those that are just claiming contributions based or New style ESA will not be entitled to it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mollypeppa
    Options
    The cost of living payment is paid to those on Income Related ESA, regardless of which group you're in. Those that are just claiming contributions based or New style ESA will not be entitled to it.
    Thank you. Hope you're all well.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad you've been able to get an answer @mollypeppa :) I know that quite a few people have been confused, especially if they claim ESA. I hope you're well too!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • mollypeppa
    Options
    I'm glad you've been able to get an answer @mollypeppa :) I know that quite a few people have been confused, especially if they claim ESA. I hope you're well too!
    It went in this morning. Thank you. Hope everyone else's has gone in too, 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yay! It sounds really positive that it went in this morning @mollypeppa :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Dogs are amazing, aren't they @boralpark? How are you feeling at the moment? I hope you are well but if you need anything, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.