Do I have to declare savings in the contribution based ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I have to declare savings in the contribution based ESA?

Options
Purplewitch
Purplewitch Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello. I an having a major panic turn over my esa benefit.  Do I have to declare savings in the contribution based?
Please help me if you can. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Contributions based ESA is not means tested so savings do not affect it. However, if any part of your ESA is Income Related then for every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there’s £1 deduction. Savings of more than £16,000 and entitlement to all means tested benefits ends.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Purplewitch
    Purplewitch Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I just get contribution based so does that mean I don't have to report saving, is that right 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you 100% sure it's just contributions based? Are you in the Support Group? If so then contirbutions based ESA is £117.60/week which is £235.20/fortnight.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Purplewitch and welcome to the community :) To help everyone share their thoughts, I've edited the title of your post and moved it over into our ESA category. 

Have we helped to answer your query, or is there anything you're still unsure of?

If you haven't already, please do take a look around the forum. A good place to start is our categories page where you can browse our different topics. You can also get to know other members, chat, and play games in the Coffee Lounge as well. For all the latest conversations, visit recent discussions.

Let us know if anything comes up that you'd like help with.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Trevurr
    Trevurr Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I am on 'old ESA' & pip.
    originally iwe weren't allowed savings above £8000 i thought, to claim ESA.
     Has it changed now? I don't have as much as this but I'm partially sighted, can't read figures accurately & anxious to know the law. thanks if you can help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Trevurr said:
    I am on 'old ESA' & pip.
    originally iwe weren't allowed savings above £8000 i thought, to claim ESA.
    Savings over £6,000 reduce the income based ESA payable but you are only excluded if savings go over £16,000.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Trevurr
    Options
    thanks very much for your clear very quick answer.. how typicala Government to reduce the amount you're allowed. you need more than£6000 for some house repairs - well most really.
    i suppose my ESA is income related. i was 'written off' as too disabled to work by DWP years ago, without contributions etc. Unfortunately, David Cameron re-assessed everyone on ''disability-for-life'' - wasting public ££ and causing loadsa stress & wasting loadsa time of DWP & 1000s of Drs - every cuppla years. now we've being moved to do a different system, - summat CREDIT - requiring entire new application - anxiety keeping me awake.
     i wonder why the 'New  ESA' dont seem to look at 'savings'? so you could have £1000,000 & still claim NEW ESA? odd. what about the very new post ESA credit thing benefit?
    trevurr.
    Why dint they just raise thresholda savings from £6/£8000 upwards., keep up wth inflation, spiralling costa repairs, etc?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Trevurr said:
    ..how typicala Government to reduce the amount you're allowed. you need more than£6000 for some house repairs - well most really.
    The threshold above which benefits are affected has never, as far as I know, exceeded £6,000. As noted in my earlier reply the absolute limit is £16,000.

You will have to transfer to Universal Credit by the end of 2028, so a few years away yet.

New style ESA is a contribution based benefit and is not means tested which is why it is not affected by savings. It’s the same as the old contribution based ESA.

It is annoying that savings thresholds don’t  get increased. They haven’t changed for many years.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Trevurr
    Options
    thank you. Will definately try to remember £6000 though with fuel costs increasing - even t'standing charges & other costa living hikes - I can't see my 'saving' one pence, even for 'emergencies'.
     ah, i 'was there' when Edward Heath, Tory PM, installed £10 CHRISTMAS BONUS TO pensioners & disabled in 1960s or '70s. Quite substantial then. now? h'mm...
    Trevurr

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.