DWP Cost of living payments - did you miss out? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP Cost of living payments - did you miss out?

MarkMids
MarkMids Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi! 
I'm trying to get an idea of how many people, like myself, have missed out on qualifying for the extra £650 cost of living payments only because they happened to claim after 25 May which was the cut-off point for being eligible? Does anyone think that seems rather unfair? 

Is this something that @Scope could help raise an issue with the DWP? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    They have to give a cut off date because if they didn't then more people would claim just to be entitled to the payment. Unfortunately, they can't please everyone. You maybe entitled to the next payment of £324 but you'll need to wait until the announce the criteria.
    Where you claiming any other benefits before you claimed UC?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jayuk
    jayuk Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    I'm on uc and had a nil payment in may As I was receiving my last 3 months pay from work and due to being dismissed on health grounds so don't think I will be receiving it. As I had to pay everything full rent, council tax ect with my last 3 months pay and not like I was rolling in it abit gutted really as it would of helped.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    We hear you @MarkMids and @jayuk :(
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    jayuk said:
    I'm on uc and had a nil payment in may As I was receiving my last 3 months pay from work and due to being dismissed on health grounds so don't think I will be receiving it. As I had to pay everything full rent, council tax ect with my last 3 months pay and not like I was rolling in it abit gutted really as it would of helped.

Unfortunately because of the nil payment due to earnings you are correct, you won't receive the first payment. Hopefully you'll receive the 2nd payment of £324 due in the Autumn but they haven't yet announced the crtieria for that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    My sister missed out too because it's the month of the year she receives 2 lots of wages which meant nil UC :( 

They have to give a cut off date because if they didn't then more people would claim just to be entitled to the payment. Unfortunately, they can't please everyone. You maybe entitled to the next payment of £324 but you'll need to wait until the announce the criteria.
    Where you claiming any other benefits before you claimed UC?
    I'm not sure that's a bad thing? They'd have to still be eligible for UC so it means people finally claiming what they're entitled to. 
  • poppy123456
    I never said it was a bad thing but I probably did word it badly though. What i meant was, they have to have a cut off date because if they didn't then everyone that claimed UC, regardless of what date would mean they wouldn't be entitled to it.
    There will always be some that miss out on the help given and that includes help during the pandemic.
  • Middleton
    Middleton Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    MarkMids said:
    Hi! 
    I'm trying to get an idea of how many people, like myself, have missed out on qualifying for the extra £650 cost of living payments only because they happened to claim after 25 May which was the cut-off point for being eligible? Does anyone think that seems rather unfair? 

Is this something that @Scope could help raise an issue with the DWP? 
    Was pleasantly surprised to see £326 dwp col in my bank acc this morning.
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 230 Pioneering
    I am glad I missed out. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    I am glad I missed out. 
    I don't understand why you would be glad to miss out?
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    I am glad I missed out. 
    In a way I am too. It's a reminder that I no longer have to worry about DWP investigations, fines stress and anxiety etc as I no longer claim any sort of means tested benefit although would be entitled to them if a claim was made.
    On the other hand life is hard for us with very little if any spare money each month to pay for lunch each day. But we can hold our heads up as all of our bills are paid including the Council Tax. 
  • poppy123456
    racyguy said:
    I am glad I missed out. 
    In a way I am too. 
    You haven’t missed out you will still get the winter fuel payment plus the £300 extra on top. Not forgetting the £400 energy grant. 
  • racyguy
    racyguy said:
    I am glad I missed out. 
    In a way I am too. 
    You haven’t missed out you will still get the winter fuel payment plus the £300 extra on top. Not forgetting the £400 energy grant. 
    I was only referring to those payments or increase in payments that are governed by receiving a means tested benefit.

The rest will be most welcomed as I have no idea how I am supposed to pay the fuel increases from October. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    racyguy said:... I have no idea how I am supposed to pay the fuel increases from October. 
    You and many others.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said:... I have no idea how I am supposed to pay the fuel increases from October. 
    You and many others.
    The only difference between now and when inflation was rampant in the early 90's is that I don't have an open fire to burn off cuts of wood etc like we did then. Mind you I do have an old large oil lamp that belonged to my grandfather - just need some paraffin.
  • James_66
    James_66 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    I'm a litte confused with the COL payments..I'm not sure if i qualify!
    I receive ESA & PIP. 
    I also receive an occupational pension from my last employer..Is this taken into consideration/Means tested by the DWP?
    Any help/Advice on this matter would be very helpful!.
  • poppy123456
    James_66 said:
    I receive ESA & PIP. 
    I also receive an occupational pension from my last employer..Is this taken into consideration/Means tested by the DWP?

If part of your ESA is Income Related then you will receive the first payment of £326. If it's New style ESA then you won't be entitled to the payment. Your Pension has nothing to do with the CoL payment.
    You will receive £150 in September because of your PIP.
  • James_66
    James_66 said:
    I receive ESA & PIP. 

If part of your ESA is Income Related then you will receive the first payment of £326. If it's New style ESA then you won't be entitled to the payment. Your Pension has nothing to do with the CoL payment.
    You will receive £150 in September because of your PIP.
    I have no idea what the differnce is between the new style ESA and the old ESA..I've been on ESA since it changed from incapacity benefit 10 years ago!
  • poppy123456
    If you're in the Support Group and you receieve £117.60 per week then your ESA is Contributions based and you won't be entitled to the payment. If it's more than this then at least part of it is Income Related and you'll be entitled to the first payment of £326.
  • James_66
    I get £235.20 a fortnight ESA.. Looks like i wont receive it then unfortunately :(. But thank you for your help :)
  • poppy123456
    James_66 said:
    I get £235.20 a fortnight ESA.. Looks like i wont receive it then unfortunately :(. But thank you for your help :)

No worries. You are correct and you're not entitled to it. It's very likely because your pension reduces any entitlement to Income Related ESA £1 for £1.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.