Hi, my name is sbanstead! These last few weeks have been traumatic — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is sbanstead! These last few weeks have been traumatic

Options
sbanstead
sbanstead Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
For most of my life, I knew I was different from a neurotypical society.  As a child, I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia after having difficulties communicating.  Throughout my schooling I received little to no support from my teachers and a lack of understanding and knowledge led to me feeling isolated from my classmates.  Not long ago, after I had a breakdown, I was referred to my local Mental Health Services, who diagnosed me with an Autism Spectrum Disorder after assessing me.  My former employers supported me on the job, which I left after being made redundant (out of the company's control so no discrimination).

Now I am unemployed on Universal Credit and have to look for work nearly every weekday all day just to avoid being sanctioned.  To be completely open and honest, these last few weeks have been traumatic
Tagged:

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @sbanstead have you looked at the work capability criteria for Universal Credit? I wonder if it would help you to go through the process if you are limited in the type of work you can do. <3

Sorry to read things were so hard for you growing up. I grew up with undiagnosed autism and ADHD (I was diagnosed as an adult) and I know how hard it is feeling like you're different and not understanding why. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @sbanstead :) Thank you for joining, and for being so open and honest with us.

That all sounds distressing, so I'm sorry you've been having those experiences. Have you been receiving ongoing support from the mental health team? 

How do you feel about the prospect of going back to work? 

As biblioklept has said, you could have a look at whether having a work capability assessment (Turn2Us) may be right for you. 

Have you spoken to your work coach to let them know how difficult things have been for you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.