Words and phrases from the past — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Words and phrases from the past

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2022 in Coffee lounge
Just remembering how my dad would say “it’s five and twenty past” or “it’s five and twenty to” when saying twenty five past or twenty five to the hour. 

I was wondering how many other turns of phrase or words had passed away along with the older generations, though my dad was an Edwardian actually.

I remember words like wheeze being used as in “it’s a real wheeze”, and topper meaning great.

Also a squeeze was a girlfriend, ie “she’s my squeeze.” 

anyone else remember anything from the past like these?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    “Antwacky” something very old and out of date. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My dad would sometimes call me a dunderhead, meaning dunce or blockhead. 

He would commonly say “what the blazes! “ or “ hells bells!” Which is the shortened version of hells bells and buckets of blood! 

Anyone remember feeling fruity? Ie Randy. Though previously a fruit was similar to airhead. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes, I’ve heard that “ feeling quite fruity today” 
    One of my favourites is “give your head a wobble” meaning have a re- think.
    A split and fish, chips, peas and fish.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.