Awaiting decision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awaiting decision

apples
apples Community member Posts: 220 Courageous
edited July 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi

I have been reading the pip posts so not going to start with how long etc

just a brief bit I submitted my forms on the 20th April I had a phone assessment on the 4th July then received a txt message from dwp that they had received the report from the health care provider and I’ll get my decision within 8 weeks, this was on the 18th July….tense time it makes my anxiety worse waiting

anyway my question is at the end of the assessment the nurse repeated that if I don’t get the decision I am looking for to appeal as there are no limits to the amount of appeals I can do, not sure if that’s right but not sure what to read into when she said appeal the decision if it’s not right

i had cab helping me with the forms as I don’t understand them due to my mental health

so any advice from you guys ? 

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,935 Disability Gamechanger
    The person that did you're assessment is correct, if you're not happy once the decision is made you can challenge that decision by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) I wouldn't read too much into it because it would be impossible to speculate anything at this stage.
    Decision timescales are anything up to 12 weeks, rather than the 8 weeks you were told.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @apples thanks for your query, and for explaining what's been happening.

I always find Turn2Us has a good overview of the different stages of the process, when you feel you'd like to challenge a PIP decision.

You can check the decision, ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR), and if that isn't successful, appeal to Tribunal.

There is a time limit on asking for an MR or an appeal to Tribunal, so please bear this in mind.

You could also complain about the decision, tell your MP, or apply for Judicial Review.

I hope it won't be too long a wait to hear back about your decision, normally with the backlogs at the moment it takes between 2-12 weeks, sometimes longer. I wish you all the best for a positive result, and whatever happens we'll be here to support you with the next steps of the process.

Let us know if we've missed anything, and enjoy having a look around the forum :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • apples
    Thank you for the replies I will keep you updated once I receive their decision 
  • apples
    Just a quick question, I done a self assessment on the benefits and work site but does anyone know where else I would be able to do one ?
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2022
    The PIP self test is not very reliable unless you fully understand the descriptors and what they mean and a lot of people don’t. There are no other self tests that I know of. 
    There’s nothing more you can do until the decision is made. You can challenge the decision once you receive it, if you’re not happy.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • apples
    Thanks poppy 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Best thing is to read through the descriptors and points and if there's any where you're not sure whether they apply to you, ask about them here and people can discuss or help explain what they mean. <3

Although I found the pip self test pretty accurate for me and eye opening too. 
  • apples
    I just rang pip as the wait was driving my anxiety crazy and they said a letter was sent to me on the 29th July

he read part of the letter out to me over the phone and I didn’t get it, he said we can’t award you pip for daily living nor for mobility and that when I receive the letter read through it and I have until the 29th august to review it 
  • poppy123456
    If the letter says "we can't award you PIP" it means you've been refused. Once you get the decision letter it will tell you if you scored any points in any of the descriptors.
    If you disagree with the decision you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). It's better to put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Giving a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you.
    You may also want to get some expert advice before going any further to check whether it's possible to score enough points needed for an award before requesting the MR. Please use the link above to check what advice agency is local to you.
  • apples
    Thanks Teddybear12 I looked at the link and it just lists cab who helped me with the initial claim

do I need to request the report from the healthcare professional ?

• apples
    Thanks poppy123456 I checked the link but only cab are listed and as previously said they helped with my initial claim

• poppy123456
    You don’t need the assessment report to write the MR letter. All it does is cause a distraction to what you really need to do at this stage. 
    The most likely outcome of the MR is the decision will remain the same. Timescales are between 2-12 weeks. 
  • apples
    Thanks poppy not sure I can go through with a tribunal 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    We hear you @apples. You need to do what's best for you. What are your thoughts behind not going through with a tribunal versus going through with a tribunal? We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • apples
    Hi @ L_Volunteer 

when I received the letter telling me my appointment for the assessment I couldn’t relax then while I was having the assessment I kept stuttering due to my anxiety that I don’t think I could put myself through tribunal as I find it hard talking to people
  • poppy123456
    apples said:
    Thanks poppy not sure I can go through with a tribunal 
    Tribunals are a lot more understanding than the health assessment providers and DWP. If you think you qualify then the only thing to do is challenge it. 
  • apples
    Thanks @poppy123456 and @Teddybear12

hopefully the letter will be here soon I just hope that when it does arrive I can understand it lol

i’m not so much upset more disappointed that I have to wait for the MR decision which in turn makes me anxious

I don’t think I will be as bad if the tribunal was by telephone rather than face to face but you don’t get a choice do you ?

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    The majority at this time are telephone too. I think it’s a great idea for people who struggle to mobilise or have serious MH issues.
    You never know even if you did appeal and it’d play on your mind if you didn’t’ so I always encourage anyone to. DWP might lapse it beforehand (extremely rare, but can happen).

Let’s hope for a positive MR.
  • apples
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know @apples. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.