Social Care Needs Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social Care Needs Assessment

Options
shibisaber
shibisaber Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hiya,

I turned 18 this year and have now left school (unless my A levels didn't go well). I have deferred a year for university to work on my independence skills and to train my assistance dog as I currently wouldn't be able to cope as is.

I can't go places by myself at all most days currently unless it was to school or the corner shop. I was wondering whether it may be worth going in for a social care needs assessment or not?

I'm really unsure whether I'll fit the criteria or not. I currently get standard daily living and mobility PIP. I am autistic, have fibromyalgia, anxiety and OCD. I can't seem to find much information on it from someone in a similar position to myself.

Many thanks!

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @shibisaber hi how are you today ? good luck with your A level results by the way, I see no problem in having a social needs assessment, after all the worst they can say is no.
    Let us no how you get on.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• shibisaber
    shibisaber Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    woodbine said:
    @shibisaber hi how are you today ? good luck with your A level results by the way, I see no problem in having a social needs assessment, after all the worst they can say is no.
    Let us no how you get on.
    I have had a good day today despite the higher temperatures. Thank you! I will request one 

Hi @shibisaber  This might be of interest to you.   

https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services   Take care.
    Many thanks
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope the above replies have helped @shibisaber :) Please do let us know if there's anything you're unsure about.

It's great that you have an assistance dog. Do you help they find you to be more independent? 

Are you receiving any support to help you manage your mental health at the moment? 

It's worth bearing in mind that the university you attend may be able to offer you some support once you're there, too. Have you had a look to see if they university you're planning on going to has a support service for disabled students? 

Best of luck with your A Levels!

Please do keep us updated :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.