Could Folks Please Take This Question Seriously. It is not disability related. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Could Folks Please Take This Question Seriously. It is not disability related.

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering

I am trying to get into reading, for the purpose of trying to liven up my mind.
I have memory problems amongst other things, this stems from a brain injury from my childhood.

Anyhow, I ordered a book from the library about a month ago. It has been next to my bed for over three weeks. I haven't even got past the first chapter.
The reason for my lack of reading is not that the book is boring, so far anyway.  I cannot recall what I have read, even after reading a page.
Is this common?
Also even though I cannot recall what I have just read, is it benefitting my mind?
Do I just continue reading and slowly my mind will liven up?

Thanking you folks.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I think sometimes it does take time to get into the flow of a book @oldngrumpy, so I'd certainly encourage you to keep up with it and see where it takes you.

It may also be worth considering the format of the book, is it a physical book or an e-book? I assume physical, but thought I'd check. Everybody's circumstances will be different of course, but perhaps it might be worth giving another format a go, such as an audiobook, to see if you are able to retain the information better listening to it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning @oldngrumpy hope your well.
    I've never been a great reader, but i do lots of things like crosswords, suduko and card games on line, to help keep my old grey cells active, have you tried any thing else ?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    I was thinking about reading more because I do actually get absorbed in to a book but it's just the general thought of doing it that puts me off. I'd keep giving it a go until you finish it and then consider if you would attempt to read a different book and so on until you get used to a routine.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    I absolutely love reading novels and have done all my life.
    But I do sometimes have this problem, especially since I have got older.

I think that maybe it's because you are only reading at bedtime when you are tired.

Try reading during the day when you are not tired.  Read each sentence slowly and try to picture what the author is describing.  I like to set the scene in my head so that I can see in my mind what is happening.

What is the book you are trying to read?
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Hi @oldngrumpy,
    Have you tried audio books, you may get into the storyline more quickly and you can just relax and listen.
    Listening to something when I was revising for an exam was much easier and stuck in my mind much better than reading something. 
    It may give the kick start that you need to develop your interest. 

• egalite22
    egalite22 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi oldngrumpy, Might it be easier for you to read a short magazine article on something that interests you? Before you start reading you could ask yourself what you hope to get out of reading the article. At the end of each paragraph you could ask yourself what you had learned or what had happened. You could try to summarise what you had learned or what happened at the end of reading the article. Let us know how you get on.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.