Mutual exchange — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mutual exchange

Options
Rodgerk1977
Rodgerk1977 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2022 in Housing and independent living
Hi we are in the process of a 5 way mutual exchange, the council dealing with the place we want to move to are very busy and as stated on their website can only give an answer in principle within 42 days. I don't know if anyone has had experience with this and knows about the 42 day rule. It's now been a week over 42 days and no response from the landlord. I have emailed but all you get is an automated reply stating how busy they are. Are they legally required to give a response within the 42 days. 
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Rodger. 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,467 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Rodgerk1977 your landlord has 42 days, including weekends, to object to the exchange if they wish to do so. After receiving your application.

As the 42 day are past I would recommend contacting your housing officer/neighbourhood team to as if they can confirm the exchange can go ahead. You can ring your landlord and ask to speak to your housing officer or neighbourhood team.

As the 42 days are up, my understanding is that they cannot object, but in housing one thing you learn is that there are usually some exceptions, plus as this is 5 way exchange depending on how many councils/housing associations involved it may complicate things. However there will be further paperwork that will need to be finished before the exchange can go through.

The council you are moving to will respond to your current landlord, and not you, as it is likely to contain personal information about their resident. So  you do need to contact your landlord, not theirs.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Rodgerk1977
    Rodgerk1977 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Great advice many thanks for your insight. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear you have found our advice helpful @Rodgerk1977. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.