Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Awarded pip today

Options
sarah1199
sarah1199 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi all, after years of on going pain and mental health issues, I bit the bullet and on the 12th May this year I applied for pip for the first time. All I was able to send in was a print out of my gps medical notes. I was completely surprised to be awarded today standard for both. 
I was wondering if I need to tell anyone about my award? Income support support will know, but I also get housing benefit, the council do not do reductions or exemptions if on pip alone, I also get child tax credits. Thanks in advance ☺ 
Sarah 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you are a single adult?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sarah1199
    Options
    Nope, I have a join claim of income support with husband, I also have 2 children under 16. From another post I found out I will get a disability premium 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,160 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    As advised on your other thread they should automatically add the disability premium couples rate to your Income Support. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/94097/disability-premium-income-support#latest
    Tax credits won’t be affected. If your husband doesn’t claim carers allowance for looking after someone else then he can claim this for looking after you. He must care for you for at least 35 hours per week. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Do you know why you are getting Income Support?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sarah1199
    Options
    Thank you, I just wondered if i needed to let any of the other benefits know about the award as income support will already no due to the premium, 
    Thank you x

poppy123456 said:
    As advised on your other thread they should automatically add the disability premium couples rate to your Income Support. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/94097/disability-premium-income-support#latest
    Tax credits won’t be affected. If your husband doesn’t claim carers allowance for looking after someone else then he can claim this for looking after you. He must care for you for at least 35 hours per week. 

• sarah1199
    Options
    Yes, iv been in receipt of income support for some years due to having a child on disability and caring for him, thankful he's older now so its all supervision and prompting

calcotti said:
    Do you know why you are getting Income Support?

• calcotti
    Options
    Thanks - missed that. Slightly difficult picking every thing up different threads.
    As poppy has suggested there may be the possibility of your husband claiming Carer’s Allowance for looking after you. This would reduce your IS but increase your overall income.
  • sarah1199
    Options

Thank you, I will look into it, I was a bit worried as I already lose on IS due to carers for my son, I didnt know if it would wipe it out but I will look into it. Thank you for your advice and help x

calcotti said:
    Thanks - missed that. Slightly difficult picking every thing up different threads.
    As poppy has suggested there may be the possibility of your husband claiming Carer’s Allowance for looking after you. This would reduce your IS but increase your overall income.

• calcotti
    Options
    sarah1199 said:

Thank you, I will look into it, I was a bit worried as I already lose on IS due to carers for my son, I didnt know if it would wipe it out but I will look into it. Thank you for your advice and help x

calcotti said:
    If you have an advice agency to do a thorough benefit review for you - no need rush. Any claim for CA can be backdated to the start of the PIP award of the CA claim is made within 3 months of the PIP decision.
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2022
    Options
    sarah1199 said:

You won’t be worse off if your husband claims carers allowance for looking after you. The carers allowance deducted from your IS will not reduce it to zero.
    It’s also worth remembering that if you are the main claimant of the IS claim then your husband will not be receiving any NI credits towards his state pension.
    By claiming CA he will then also receive class 1 NI. 
    Carers allowance can also be backdated to the start of your PIP award. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Rosienelly1
    Rosienelly1 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    Hi Sarah 
    well done on getting a good out come I apply on the 10 th may 2022
    ive had my assessment on 20th July 
    had the text to say DWP has had my 
    Report on the 28th July just waiting now I hate this waiting 😩
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you get the outcome you're looking for @Rosienelly1 please feel free to spend time on the community if it helps take your mind off the wait.

What sorts of things do you find help to relax and destress you?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • sarah1199
    Options
    Thank you, I am currently panicking because my income support as not gone in today. This as never happened before, the only change I have had is pip and I was told it doesn't trigger a change with income support. I'm waiting for lines to open but I'm really worrying now
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @sarah1199 I know it's hard darling but try not to panic, what time do the phone lines open.?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sarah1199 said:
    Thank you, I am currently panicking because my income support as not gone in today. This as never happened before, the only change I have had is pip and I was told it doesn't trigger a change with income support. I'm waiting for lines to open but I'm really worrying now

Sounds like a simple error because of your recent PIP award. Sometimes when something like this happens it suspends benefits like Income Support. It will be because of the disability premium entitlement.
    Give them a ring this morning and ask for a fast same day payment and it should be put into your bank today. Telephone: 0800 169 0310

• sarah1199
    Options
    Thank you xx I phoned at 8am on the dot. It was due to them calculating thr disability premium and back pay so for this week only its going in late and being paid Friday, its a little late but I'm just happy it wasn't cancelled but a letter or call might have been beneficial. I suffer super anxiety and on the phone I had jelly legs, nausea, dizziness and a knot in my stomach haha.
    Thank you all again xx
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bless you @sarah1199 so glad it's all sorted darling, you can breath now and have a nice cuppa.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.