Esa and pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa and pip

Options
magsta222
magsta222 Community member Posts: 35 Listener
Hi my last day of work is Friday had to give up due to ill health I get pip standard daily living.
I've done a calculation it is saying that I would get ESA and another ESA it comes to about £174 per week
Is this correct as other sites are saying different do you get  extra ESA on pip 
Thankyou 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,256 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    That's not correect. The only ESA that's possible to claim now is New style ESA but you'll need to have paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2019 to March 2021. You will need a fit note to be able to claim this. If over 25 it pays £77 per week. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
    There's no disability premiums payable on this ESA so your PIP award makes no difference.
    In a previous thread you said you're claiming SSP until September, if that's correct then you won't be entitled to the ESA until the SSP ends. You can claim it 3 months before the SSP ends and then payments will start once SSP ends. Previous thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/91067/leaving-work-threw-ill-health-ive-not-got-a-clue-what-i-do-after-my-6-months-sick-pay-is-up#latest
    You can claim Universal Credit as well as SSP but if you're claiming tax credits this will end once you claim UC. You can report a health condition if you claim UC and send in fit notes to start the work capability assessment process off.
    If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    If you claim both ESA and UC together the ESA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC before you claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • magsta222
    Options
    I'm so worried is that all I will get is £77 a week 
  • magsta222
    Options
    I've had to give my job up early 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2022
    Options
    New style ESA pays £77 per week. If placed into the Support Group once you're assessed then you're money increases to £117.60 per week from the 14th week. It often takes longer than that to make a decision on your work capability assessment.
    As advised, use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC. If you're claiming for help with the rent through housing benefit, this will end 2 weeks after you claim UC and then the rent will be paid as part of your maximum UC entitlement.
    Though there's no financial gain to claiming both ESA and UC together because the ESA is deducted. It does pay class 1 NI where as UC only pays class 2. It may also be useful because the ESA isn't means tested like UC is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    magsta222 said:
    I've had to give my job up early 

SSP should still be payable for 28 weeks.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you are finishing work on Friday and SSP ends and you're still claiming working tax credits then you'll need to make sure you report the changes to HMRC.
  • magsta222
    Options
    Hi no I went back to work for 3 weeks but could not do it so I'm owed my wages the end of August 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds really tough that you went back to work for 3 weeks but could not do it @magsta222. Though, it sounds positive that you are due your wages.

How are you feeling? If we can do anything to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.