Hi, my name is Sherlock221b! How will moving house effect my benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Sherlock221b! How will moving house effect my benefits

Options
Sherlock221b
Sherlock221b Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi here trying to get some information regarding moving house and how that will affect my benefits. So here's hoping!

Comments

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @Sherlock221b and welcome to the online community.

Moving house can be such a stressful experience and you are right to want to know how your benefits may be effected. Could I ask you which benefits you are claiming and whether you are moving in with anyone ? 

I've slightly amended the title of this thread to make it more visible to other community members. 
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're claiming housing benefit to help with any rent, are you moving to a different local Authority or staying with the same one?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi here trying to get some information regarding moving house and how that will affect my benefits. So here's hoping!
    Can you state exactly what benefits you currently receive?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sherlock221b
    Options
    To Sue and Poppy thank you for your kind involvement.

Regarding the move, it's early days, but it most certainly will entail a change of local authority.

Below is a draft of the information I'm most interested in obtaining.  Without making things too long I've tried to include all the relevant details. But if there's something else you need - fire away, and thank you!

• Sherlock221b
    Options
    Hi Calotti,

As I state my wife and I get PIP which I understand is non means tested, and therefore is unaffected.

ESA which I get for my disability, and I'm in the support group.

Housing benefit which reduces my council tax.

And finally my wife receives carer's allowance on my behalf. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    PIP is not affected.
    CA is not affected.
    ESA is not affected - but any income based ESA will end if you have to claim Universal Credit in order to get help with rent.
    That last point depends on whether you are moving within the same local authority or moving to a new local authority.
    If you move within the same authority you can simply update the HB claim.
    If you are moving to a new local authority you will not be able to make a new HB claim in the new authority and to get help with rent will have to claim UC. that would end income based ESA (but any contribution based ESA would continue and be deducted from the UC).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Sherlock221b
    Options
    Thank you for your valuable insight.  All of this is really a minefield, as I'm sure other contributors will confirm 
     I won't be paying any rent as I'll be buying the property outright. Will my ESA be impacted if we are left after the sale with a sizeable equity?
  • calcotti
    Options
    Thank you for your valuable insight.  All of this is really a minefield, as I'm sure other contributors will confirm 
     I won't be paying any rent as I'll be buying the property outright. Will my ESA be impacted if we are left after the sale with a sizeable equity?
    If you have more than £16,000 of capital then all entitlement to income based ESA will end. If any of your ESA is contribution based taht will not be affected. You need to clarify what your ESA is.

If you don't mind me asking - where is the capital to buy the house coming from? If you already have capital it should already be being taken into account.
  • Sherlock221b
    Options
    OK. My ESA is income based. Hence my questions regarding the equity. For the sake of argument, suppose we buy a bungalow which is £50000 cheaper than what we sell my current house for (This is the capital you're asking about) What options are open to me? Can I use the excess £34000 to make legitimate alterations/improvements to bring me below that £16,000?
  • calcotti
    Options
    OK. My ESA is income based. Hence my questions regarding the equity. For the sake of argument, suppose we buy a bungalow which is £50000 cheaper than what we sell my current house for (This is the capital you're asking about) What options are open to me? Can I use the excess £34000 to make legitimate alterations/improvements to bring me below that £16,000?
    OK, confused because you referred to Housing Benefit which suggested you rent your home. Did you actually mean Council tax Reduction which reduces your Council tax bill. If the latter, you will lose that if you have capital - the capital limit varies between councils.
  • Sherlock221b
    Options
    Yes, in sorry, you're quite right. This is indeed Council Tax Reduction and not Housing Benefit. I'm not sure off hand what the value is of the council tax where I live now, Southend. However, if and when I do move, I know it'll be out of this area.  
  • calcotti
    edited August 2022
    Options
    For CTR every local authority has their own rules and can set their own thresholds.

Your immediate concern is to clarify, if you do not know, whether any of your ESA is contribution based.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad to see that the community has been able to help @Sherlock221b and I wish you all the best with your move, you'll have to keep us updated. 

I take it you're a fan of the detective with the deer stalker hat?

Please do have a look around the forum if you'd like to, you can find all the latest conversations in our recent discussions category, all the different topics in our categories page, and you can meet and chat with other members over in our virtual coffee lounge too :)

Let us know if you need a hand with anything further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.