Still trying to get around my surprise diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Still trying to get around my surprise diagnosis

Options
Had a phone call from one of the practice nurses from my doctors this morning and she gave me the results of both my ultrasound scan and blood test.
She said that there's a tiny cyst on one of my ovaries, but they're not going to request a follow up as it's so tiny and that there's no fibroids in my womb.
She then told me that my blood glucose is high and that I have diabetes.
Not sure if I have posted this in the right category or not, but it's the only one I could see that looked suitable for my post.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    This category is fine for this post @BrianMcFaddenfan07- there's not always a perfect fit :) 

Getting a new diagnosis can take a while to process. Did the nurse tell you about any next steps you need to take? 

Diabetes UK may also be able to support you. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    BrianMcFaddenfan07 Community member Posts: 253 Pioneering
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I've got to wait for the first nurse to ring me back to let me know which medication she thinks is the right one for me as she said that one of the medications has a side effect that causes the user to put weight on and she said that if I've got a bit of weight behind me that it wouldn't be any good for me as she doesn't want me to put any more on.
    The nurse I saw is referring me for a yearly eye test at my opticians and a few other yearly tests.
    She's also referring me to a sort of like diabetes workshop so that they can help me with understanding more about diabetes and to offer me support as well.
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there.

I have had diabetes for about 30 years and its a shock when diagnosed with a condition that is life long.

The courses are very good and highly recommend 

You will learn to manage the diabetes over time and with good control if can be very well managed 

Unfortunately a lot of diabetic medication can cause weight gain but they will find the right one for you 
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
    Ty @janer1967. I'm waiting for the first nurse to contact me again as the second nurse I saw had to do my weight and blood pressure checks as well a lifestyle check too.
    I forgot to ask both nurses if they know what type I am as I was in that much shock.

• BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
    Can you give me an idea of what happens on the course please hun @janer1967 as when the nurse was explaining it to me, I was in too much shock to keep up with what she was saying and I can't remember what she said now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am not a doctor but would imagine it will be type 2 especially as yog were not aware you had diabetes type 1 is usually but not always presents itself at young age where type 2 is mors later in life or can be a result of being overweight which it was in my case 

The course I went on was years ago but explains what diabetes is how to control if what sort of food to eat what to do ic sugar levels get low 

Good control is not only about sugar intake but also carbs 

The course will inform you how to count cards etc 
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
    Ty @janer1967. My fiance's mum has type 1 and she's in her early 60s, his dad and two of his sisters have type 2. Of my fiance's sisters is his twin sister.
    He's going to do an econsult with our doctors so that a doctor can decide if he needs to be checked.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ahh thanks for updating us @BrianMcFaddenfan07 it's not surprising you're in shock.

You'll have to let us know how your fiancé gets on as well. Hope you're doing okay this morning?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's positive to hear :) Just let us know if we can lend a hand or a listening ear for support @BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can only reiterate what @Alex_Scope has already said @BrianMcFaddenfan07. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @BrianMcFaddenfan07. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Good good @BrianMcFaddenfan07. How are you today?  :)

• BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
    Tired @L_Volunteer as I didn't get much sleep last night as I kept on waking up and then going back to sleep again and going back and to to the toilet.
    I did try to go back to sleep when my fiance came back from work. I'd fall asleep for a bit n then I'd wake up again.
    I'm still waiting for the nurse to contact me at my doctors. If she's not rang me by the time my fiance get home from work tomorrow then I'm going to ring the doctors to find out what's going on.
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Oh no @BrianMcFaddenfan07. Those nights of sleep are always the worst! They are draining.

Hope you have been sleeping better since. As always, if we can do anything to help, please don't hesitate to reach out to us  :)

• elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    I got a bit of a shock when I was disagnosed with diabetes in my 30s.  But I ate a lot of sweets, drank a lot of cider, and didn't move around much.  I cut out all the sweets, stopped drinking the cider, started exercising.  Lost a lot of weight and felt much better.  Never learnt to enjoy the exercise though.  So its not the end of the world, might even do you some good in the long run as it did for me!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.