Anecdotal evidence for PIP for someone who has 24 hour care everyday — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anecdotal evidence for PIP for someone who has 24 hour care everyday

Options
nasturtium
nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
Hello

I have a question that concerns my brother and maybe others who are looking to claim PIP and have 24 hour care 7 days a week. It is advised that a claimant should provide anecdotal evidence of real world incidents that has happened to them when doing each activity they are claiming for when they are applying for Personal Independence Payments. If that person has 24 hour care 7 days a week that prevents incidents from happening to the claimant then how should the claimant provide real world incidents as anacdotal evidence if they do not have any to provide because they have care to prevent those incidents from happening. Would they put forward a hyperthetical scenorio if they where to do that activity without care and the problems they would face. Would that be acceptable? I am a carer for my brother and I make sure that he does not come to harm and I am very vigilant for trip hazards or anything that would cause him to slip or fall because he has osteoperosis in his spine and a fall would be very damaging to his condition.

Thank you kindly in advance.
Nasturtium

How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You could talk about before he had that care what would happen, there must be incidents that led to you taking over those activities for him or why you don't encourage him to do it himself with support. 
    If not then maybe explain in detail the help you do give him, going into detail and step by step of the support you give an highlight that he has that round the clock care and why.
  • nasturtium
    Options
    Thank you for your reply Biblioklept

"If not then maybe explain in detail the help you do give him, going into detail and step by step of the support you give an highlight that he has that round the clock care and why."

After I posted my question I started to think about what I had written and it occured to me that if a person has constant care then it would be a good idea for the carer to write a detailed letter outlining the care that they give and the reasons for that care and what would happen to that person if they did not recieve the care. Basically the answer was withing the question and I could not see it.

Thank you kindly for your reply Biblioklept it is most appreciated.
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • Biblioklept
    edited August 2022
    Options
    <3 I think a letter from you as the carer is a great idea
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to add further to the advice already given. Please make sure you're not giving assertions, instead of anecdotal. An assertion is when you say they can't do X because of Y.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nasturtium
    Options
    Just to add further to the advice already given. Please make sure you're not giving assertions, instead of anecdotal. An assertion is when you say they can't do X because of Y.

Thank you poppy for your reply and advice. Just for reference for my brother and others could you please give an example of what would be classed as anacdotal and what would be classed as an assertion please.

Thank you in advance for your assistance
    Nasturtium
  • Biblioklept
    edited August 2022
    Options
    These are random made up examples but to give an idea of what I think poppy123456 means, it's giving facts and actual details of things rather than just 'I can't do this because I am disabled so need help'. 

Such as: 
    Assertion: "I can't dress myself without prompting because I feel too low to do it and then don't bother without someone reminding me because I forget"

Anecdotal: "I can't dress myself without prompting because I feel too low to do it and then don't bother without someone reminding me because I forget. For example, as I'm writing this I'm wearing a dress I've been wearing for over a week which was only changed last Tuesday because my boyfriend came over and got a dress out for me because he said the one I was wearing was starting to smell. He helped pick out the outfit and then encouraged my to change and helped button it up because I can't manage the small buttons at the front. It takes me around 30 minutes to do up 5 buttons because my fingers get cramped and I don't have the fine motor skills needed. I only change my clothes when my boyfriend is around to remind me and without that prompting and left to my own devices I would wear the same thing for....."

or

Assertion: "I can't walk more than 20m unaided because it hurts and I get tired"

Anecdotal: "Last Tuesday I needed to walk to the taxi and it was parked further from my house than usual. It was around 60m away. It took me 10 minutes to walk it and I had to stop three times to lean on a wall. The taxi driver eventually came out to help me and help me upright as we walked. Although I eventually managed the 60m I was in severe pain which meant I wasn't able to then stand up out of the taxi at the other end without someone helping me and had to increase my pain medication in the afternoon. This is the furthest I've walked in 5 years and it took me three days just to feel a bit more normal and my pain to lessen to a manageable amount. On a typical day I manage about 5m by holding onto things and am waiting for a referral to a physio. I can't walk more than 20m unaided because of the pain it causes me and how tired I get as a result."
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    So if you're doing it in your letter as his carer, instead of just saying "I help him wash his hair because he can't do it himself", you'd add detail and some examples of the last times you helped him and talk the reader of your letter through it step by step so they can see properly how much help he requires with the task. 
    There's a difference between just checking he's rinsed out the shampoo to actually having to even open the shampoo an rub it in and rinse etc. If you give just the assertion they have no information or evidence of what you've said
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks @Biblioklept that pretty much sums it up. The focus shouldn't be on the problems you have but should be on the consequences of those issues.
    However, telling them you can't complate an activity because you may fall, or you may get too tired isn't going to help either.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nasturtium
    Options
    <3 Thank you so much @Biblioklept and  @poppy123456 for your very informative help and assistance. It is very much appreciated and it has given me a better insight. It has been very helpful.

Kind Regards
    Nasturtium
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad we were able to support you @nasturtium. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to help, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.