Am I entitled to anything as I have diabetes, asthma, depression and PCOS? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I entitled to anything as I have diabetes, asthma, depression and PCOS?

Options
BrianMcFaddenfan07
BrianMcFaddenfan07 Community member Posts: 253 Pioneering
I have tried to apply for pip for my asthma and depression, but I was refused even though when I originally applied myself and my fiance were living in his parents hometown, but now we are living in our hometown and all we are getting is our UC and my fiance's wages, which are gonna be less next month as his hours are dropping from 12 to 10. He only works part time as a cleaner.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,228 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn’t awarded based on any diagnosis. It wouldn’t have made any difference living with parents either. 
    What they look at is exactly how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. 
    If your health condition limits your capability to work then you can report a change of circumstances and report your health condition for UC. You will need to send fit notes without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assessment. 
    If found to have LCWRA then you’ll be entitled to extra money from the 4th month after you reported your health condition. Unless your partner is already receiving the LCWRA element in your claim because you can only receive 1 per claim. See link for details. https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-disability-universal-credit

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
    I was on LCW but I didn't get anything as I was apparently on the work and health program even though it was my fiance, but they wouldn't have it.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    Having any form of illness or disability is thankfully not a perquisite to being able to get a PIP award.
    Many people have undiagnosed issues and claim PIP. 
    The question is that you have to demonstrate how your life is affected using the descriptors that make up PIP. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You only receive extra money if found to have LCWRA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you had a look through to see whether the PIP descriptors apply to you, or whether you may qualify for LCWRA @BrianMcFaddenfan07? I know it can all be a bit confusing, so please do let us know if there's anything you're unsure about. 

I'm sorry to hear that you've been living with depression. How's your mental health been lately? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
    @Tori_Scope it's been ok ty.
    I haven't had a look yet. But I might have a look in a bit
  • BrianMcFaddenfan07
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I've just had a look on the government website about the different benefits and I got really really confused.

I'm also hoping to be able to get a trainee healthcare assistant job at my local hospital as they have a training course for it 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Tori_Scope I've just had a look on the government website about the different benefits and I got really really confused.

You're already claiming UC and this has replaced all the old benefits such as Income Related ESA/JSA, Income Suppport and tax credits.
    New style ESA wouldn't be possible if you haven't worked in tax years April 2019 to March 2021. Even if you did qualify, claiming this as well as UC there would be no financial gain because it's deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    PIP isn't means tested and not part of UC and would be the only other benefit to look at claiming. Before doing so i would advise you to get some expert advice to check you qualify.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.