If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

£40 Council Tax Energy rebate

Options
Middleton
Middleton Community member Posts: 137 Courageous
Hi
Came back from London Hospital today and had a letter through the door for £40 council tax rebate. To be cashed at post office, just as i did the £150 last month.

Anyone else had a further £40? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,231 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My LA gave those entitled to the £150 and extra £20 top up. Maybe it’s extra money because of that. Have a look on your LA website there maybe information on there.
    They will all have their own rules for any extra funding.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Middleton
    Middleton Community member Posts: 137 Courageous
    Options
    My LA gave those entitled to the £150 and extra £20 top up. Maybe it’s extra money because of that. Have a look on your LA website there maybe information on there.
    They will all have their own rules for any extra funding.
    Ok thanks-Will do!
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are things going for you at the moment @Middleton? Please feel free to keep us in the loop. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    My brother has just received £50.00 from his local council. I think it’s part of the Household Support Fund. In our local area people get it who are in receipt of council tax reduction, pension credit and vouchers in school holidays for those that are entitled to free school meals. 
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 372 Pioneering
    Options
    How would your LA know you were entitled to the £150?
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2022
    Options
    How would your LA know you were entitled to the £150?
    Because if you’re named on the council tax bill everyone in bands A-D were entitled to it. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/households-urged-to-get-ready-for-150-council-tax-rebate
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    Karen7788 said:
    My brother has just received £50.00 from his local council. I think it’s part of the Household Support Fund. In our local area people get it who are in receipt of council tax reduction, pension credit and vouchers in school holidays for those that are entitled to free school meals. 
    My council are bleating that they have the Support Fund money but very few people are asking for some of it.
    I would love to know how much will have to be returned to the government at the end of next month and that includes the £150 rebate that only half of those that don't pay by direct debit have bothered to get in touch and make a claim. 
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @racyguy,
    The council contacted my brother, he didn’t apply for it. They became aware of his situation during the first lockdown. 

• littleacorn
    Options
    I know things in these comments can be a like confusing. Earlier I mentioned how do the council know you would be entitled to money. What I was referring to was the extra to the £150 that some peopel seem to be getting. Not sure if this money is Support Fund money but again how would they know you were entitled to it?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I know things in these comments can be a like confusing. Earlier I mentioned how do the council know you would be entitled to money. What I was referring to was the extra to the £150 that some peopel seem to be getting. Not sure if this money is Support Fund money but again how would they know you were entitled to it?
    Because those that are named on council tax bills in bands A-D are entitled to the £150 rebate, even if you don’t pay any council tax. The answer is the same as I previously advised. 
  • littleacorn
    Options
    I am still not getting this! I have received the £150 for being in the A-D band council tax however some people above say  they have received and extra amout £50 and thinks its from the Household Support Fund.  Any further information about this money would be appreciated.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    I am still not getting this! I have received the £150 for being in the A-D band council tax however some people above say  they have received and extra amout £50 and thinks its from the Household Support Fund.  Any further information about this money would be appreciated.
    The Household Support Fund more than likely.
    All payments out of that fund are discretionary with each council setting out how they will distribute it.
    Some are handing out a top up to the £150 payment, others wait for applications from the public and then decide if they fit the criteria. Some councils refuse to hand it out willy nilly  and prefer to send it back to the government at the end of September. 
  • poppy123456
    Options

All local Authorities were given extra funding. For anything extra on top of the £150 announced by the Government it would be down to each individual LA to decide what they do with that money.
    My LA gave an extra £20 to all those that were entitled to the £150. They also gave £150 to all those in band E-H if they were claiming council tax reduction. Those of state pension age and above have also been given an extra £70.
    I can't give you any information about your LA because i don't know which area you live so you will need to look on their website to see if there's any information.

• littleacorn
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info I will look into it and see what my Local Authority are doing
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @littleacorn. Good luck! Please feel free to let us know how things go for you. We are all here for you if we can do anything to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.