Autism and employment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism and employment

Options
Rosie_19
Rosie_19 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2022 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi,
I’m a 16-year-old girl who has lots of autistic traits I’m waiting for an assessment. I recently left school I wanted to get a part-time job to keep a routine. I’ve started a job at a CAFE but I’m struggling with the social aspect I find myself masking in order to deliver ‘good’ customer service ie.small talk, eye contact. It’s leaving me feeling really rubbish and having panic attacks/meltdowns. I had a panic attack today while on shift on my manager was sympathetic but I really don’t want to go back I don’t think I can face another shift but I need to give it two weeks notice and next week the weather is supposed to be really hot where I live and that’s one of my sensory issues also. (The cafe gets really hot). Should I quit now because I want to without the notice period and run the risk of not getting paid and it looking bad? I have another job which is going slightly better but I just don’t understand how autistic people can manage having a job I’m finding it really difficult.

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Rosie. 
    I’m sorry to hear of your situation, wether you feel that job is right for you is down to you. You’ve given it a go and are struggling with the whole aspect, I’m sure no one could argue with that. I don’t think personally quitting right away will help you, try having a chat with your manager to see if reasonable adjustments can be made especially with the upcoming spell of hot weather.

I wish you the best in whatever your choice is.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there @Rosie_19 and welcome to the community, well done for reaching out :) To help everyone share their thoughts I've just moved this post over into our Autism category, I hope that's okay!

I would echo bg844's advice, and encourage you to have a chat with your manager about how you're feeling, and what might help you feel happier within the role, especially in the hot weather. I'm sure they'd appreciate the honesty, especially if you have suggestions of things that would help.

It's positive to hear that your other job is going well, and I think it's very common to find things difficult. What do you enjoy most about that job?

If I've missed anything, please let me know, and do ask if anything else comes up. We're here to support you :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.