I've just been diagnosed with throat cancer. Do I need to tell PIP? Can I write to them, not call? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've just been diagnosed with throat cancer. Do I need to tell PIP? Can I write to them, not call?

Options
scottydog1234
scottydog1234 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I have just been diagnosed with throat cancer. I am in receipt of higher rate of both elements of PIP I’m yet to find out the staging ie if it is terminal or not. Do I have to inform PIP and also I am losing my voice so can I write to them if I need to inform them. My current claim runs out in 9 months. 
Thank you

Comments

• Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @scottydog1234! 👋🏻 

A special welcome to you on Scope. 

I am deeply sorry to hear about the Cancer Diagnosis. 

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, that must be really difficult to come to terms with living with Throat Cancer.

Yes I think it would be a good idea to inform the PIP department about the staging of your diagnosis. Also, there is a Charity called the Citezens Advice, which helps people with benefit applications; they can write a letter on your behalf explaining that you are losing your voice.

Take care 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jo_2022 said:

Yes I think it would be a good idea to inform the PIP department about the staging of your diagnosis.

That's quite poor advice here, i'm sorry. @scottydog1234 already receives Enhanced rate for both parts of PIP so reporting changes wil not make any difference to their award.
    You do need to be extremely careful when reporting changes because doing this can prompt more forms to be sent out and the whole process starts all over again. Quite pointless in this case because of the award they already have.
    PIP is also not about a diagnosis.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Jo_2022 said:Yes I think it would be a good idea to inform the PIP department about the staging of your diagnosis. 
    Definitely not.
    Do not advise them. If you report a change it will almost certainly trigger a new assessment which you don't want. Even if you were not getting a full award there would be no need to report a diagnosis, you would only want to report a change if you were experiencing health difficulties that might change your PIP assessment.
    Furthermore, at the moment I doubt you have clarity about what the diagnosis means, what the treatment might involve and whether there is long term impact. You might only be affected by a period of less than 12 months and might have no impact on PIP anyway.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @scottydog1234 welcome to the community 

I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your diagnosis it must be hard to come to terms with and I hope you are coping and have good support 

Take care 
  • scottydog1234
    Options
    thank you everyone for your positive feedback. I was concerned about triggering a reassessment, which, I could certainly do without at the moment! I am just in the process of informing my family which I’m finding challenging.

I am in a wheelchair and am not in good health which was of concern to the person diagnosing me who advised me to get as fit as I could? Not sure how to go about that. A question to ask when I’m seen by my cancer team. 

Yes it was a shock but I have helped my father through 10 years of cancer treatments so have some knowledge of the processes involved. He passed away 4 years ago.

Thanks again for your advise. My Dad stayed positive throughout and I will endeavor to do so too.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great attitude which will help get you through 

I'm in wheelchair and currently trying to find suitable exercises there some.sittung exercises for strength etc on NHS website 

Will also let you know if I fund anything else suitable 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,986 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @scottydog1234 I also want to say how sorry I am that you have received that awful diagnosis, staying possitive is a good thing. It can be difficult to tell family and close freinds, they will all want to support you. We are all here too if you want to let of steam or need advice.
  • scottydog1234
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. 
  • fudgee
    fudgee Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I would report any changes, has your doctor referred you to SALT they can help support you with other communication methods which will be really helpful. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    fudgee said:
     I would report any changes,
    That's not correct here, which has been advised here.
    Jo_2022 said:

Yes I think it would be a good idea to inform the PIP department about the staging of your diagnosis.

@scottydog1234 already receives Enhanced rate for both parts of PIP so reporting changes wil not make any difference to their award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @scottydog1234 Welcome to our great friendly and very caring group.
    I am sorry to hear about your cancer, please stay positive x
    The forum is the best online, my opinion of course, so stay with us - we don't mind any rantings/frustrations that you may have, or just friendly chats, which can help if your feeling low or lonely or even bored, I find the coffee lounge a great place and it helps me with distraction.

Stay strong and I look forward to seeing you around the site.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @scottydog1234

I an reassured that you will follow the advice of poppy and calcotti and that there is no benefit to  you to report the deterioration in your conditions as you already have enhanced awards. Whilst you are under an obligation to report a change of circumstance this is not such a change. It is not in your interests to contact the DWP as this would be likely to trigger an assessment. 

As you have seen we are a warm and friendly community and very supportive. You have some difficult times ahead which you seem to be facing with positivity. Stay strong and do keep in touch.  We are all here if you need a virtual shoulder to cry on  :) !

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    fudgee said:.. I would report any changes,..
    As already discussed in some detail that is not necessary and is of no benefit to OP - quite to the contrary.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.