Hi, my name is Octavia8! I want to learn to lip read , can you help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Octavia8! I want to learn to lip read , can you help

Options
Octavia8
Octavia8 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2022 in Sensory impairments
In the last 6 months I have gone from a fully hearing person but after 2 incidents of Covid I have lost and continue to lose my hearing. I want to learn to lip read , canyons help

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @Octavia8 thanks for joining and telling us a bit about yourself :)

I'm sorry to hear about what's happened since you had Covid, it sounds like you are looking to take some positive steps forward in wanting to learn to lip read, have you looked into any courses local to you, or perhaps online learning?

Can I ask what you mean by canyons? It's not something I've heard of before.

You are most welcome to have a look around the forum at your own pace, you can find all the latest conversations in our recent discussions category, all the different topics in our categories page, and you can meet and chat with other members over in our virtual coffee lounge too!

Please let us know if we can help with anything further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options

Good  afternoon @Octavia8 and welcome to the online community and we're so pleased that you have joined. I've just seen that Alex has already replied to you post but I just wanted to say "hello" as well.

Thank you for reaching out to us and I have slightly amended the title to your post so that it is more visible to the other members on our community so that they may respond more readily.  

The sudden deterioration in your hearing must have come about as a terrible shock and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that will be to come to terms with but yet you are dealing with your situation with positivity. There are some organisations which specifically provide support for people with hearing and impairments and  their families and I have set out their link here.  Hearing link is another orgainsation  worth looking at as it provides support and information about the use of apps and lipreading and supports people with hearing impairment communicate and engage with others. I think they will be also be able to sign post you to other organisations in your locality.  

I don't know whether you are claiming any disability benefits or would like any information about this - but please do not hesitate to ask.  You see from the discussions page that the community is very helpful and supportive.  If you do need tp contact the DWP they use RelayUk which enables people who can't speak or hear to communicate.  

Take care 

Sue 

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.