Hypermobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hypermobility

Options
Missdarylj
Missdarylj Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello my name is daryl, I've not been diagnosed with hypermobilty as of yet.. but I'm here to ask questions about it. Ain't I was a child I've suffered some rapid dislocations, right elbow a few times, both knees several times including my right one last year and I haven't recovered. My wrists can have really bad days where they feel out or place or pop out suddenly. My right hand fingers started to move about at the knuckles last week. I have suffered multiple sprains from my ankles just popping out. My jaw clicks and sometimes pops. Along side my hips but they ate getting more painful and my lower back.. the doctors have tested me... but apparently I'm not completely hyper lax.. but my questions are can it flare and then just settle like nothings wrong.. can you be hyperlax at times but then come across normal? I've come to this forum as I'm actually quite scared.. its send my aniexty through the roof. They have mri scanned my right knee etc and now have offered me surgery... I cried through the assessment because I feel like my actual issue isn't being addressed. Ahould I keep a diary then go back to my GP. Just I don't want to leave it too late and it gets worse as I age and I have a 4 year old to look after at home too. I know a 35 year old with 5 kids she already is in a scooter and crutches for hypermobilty.. but I'm looking for some answers from other people who may suffer with this condition.. to maybe help me finally get a right diagnoses. Many thanks daryl

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Missdarylj :) Thank you for joining, and for telling us about your situation. 

I don't live with hypermobility myself, but I hope that another member who does will find your post soon.

It sounds as though you're going through a really tough time at the moment. It can be hard when we don't feel as though our medical team are treating the root cause of our symptoms, or listening to our concerns. Have you spoken to the doctor to tell them about how you've been feeling lately? 

Keeping a diary sounds like a good idea to me, as it may help you to show your doctor the kinds of symptoms you've been experiencing over time.

Have you told your doctor how you feel about possibly having surgery? Would you be able to tell us about what kinds of concerns you have about undergoing surgery? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    My son was diagnosed with hypermobility , he’s 36 years old. He’s still working full time and does have dislocations and the pain that goes with them from time to time but physiotherapy has really helped. He is lucky as he works in a hospital so there’s support there for him and all his colleagues understand the situation that he’s in and are very supportive. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.