Hi, my name is curious101! How could my partner starting work affect our UC claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is curious101! How could my partner starting work affect our UC claim?

Options
curious101
curious101 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have a current UC with my partner who has already been awarded lcwra, this is because of his mental health- depression and anxiety and struggling to deal with and interact with people, also because he struggles to look after himself so I help care for him. Due to the current cost of living crisis, he is now wanting to look for work, he has applied to a couple of supermarkets for night work and cleaning roles, essentially trying to find a job with as much alone time as possible, will he lose the lcWra element? I currently work part-time 20 hours as I am also a part-time student but our UC claim is joint. If he did lose he LCWRA and ended up working 24 hours a week, would we still get UC or does he have be on lcwra? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,595 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no maximum amount of hours you can work while receiving the LCWRA element. If the work he does contradicts the reasons why he was found to have LCWRA then it could go against him when he has his next review.
    If he starts work he needs to report a change of circumstances and tell them he's working.
    You already have the work allowance, any earnings outside of this will reduce your UC by 55%. If in the future he was found fit for work, unless you have children on your claim then you will lose the work allowance and all earnings received during your assessment period will reduce your UC by 55%.
    If he does work 24 hours per week, whether there will be any entitlement to UC will depend on your joint circumstances.
    Use a benefits calculator and put in various figures to see the difference. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=faf3178b-3f6a-49b1-a670-0d9fb6f50732

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Welcome to the community @curious101 :) 

I hope that poppy123456's comment has helped to clear that up for you. If you have any further questions, please do let us know. 

I'm sure he's not the only one considering entering employment due to the cost of living crisis, despite living with ill health, which I'm sorry to hear. 

Is he receiving support to help him manage his anxiety and depression at the moment? If he hasn't spoken to his GP lately, I'd encourage him to do so. 

If he'd like some support with finding suitable work, he might like to access one of our friendly employment services.

I can imagine that you must have a lot on your plate, with working, studying, and taking on caring responsibilities. How's your wellbeing at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.