Hi, my name is cherry1961! Looking for a fully accessible place for my son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is cherry1961! Looking for a fully accessible place for my son

Options
cherry1961
cherry1961 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Looking for fully wheelchair accessible place for my son to rent. Newly disabled with left leg paralysis (FND). Must have wet room, disabled grab bars etc. Starts job with MoD 6 September. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @cherry1961 and welcome to the online community :) 

How are you and your son? Moving is a big step and can be quite stressful, so I hope you are both coping okay and he is looking forward to it and the new job.

Have you tried looking on any of the main house finding sites like Right Move? Or have you considered getting in touch with the council to see if he could receive any support with finding a home?

This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 I have included below a few of the pages I’d recommend having a look through to get used to things:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • cherry1961
    cherry1961 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks so much - he is under South Gloucester Council for Housing but wheelchair accessible throughout one level home with wet room, grab rails etc like gold dust.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Habinteg was once recommended to me @cherry1961. I don't know if it'll have something suitable for your son, but it might be worth a look :) 

I'm wondering whether you might also find it helpful to learn about how adaptions can be made to make homes more accessible. We have a page about this, which you might like to take a look through.

As I'm sure you've both realised by now, it can unfortunately be really quite difficult to find accessible housing. You're certainly not the only ones who are looking, and perhaps struggling to find something. 

Best wishes to your son on his new job! I hope he enjoys it. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.