Employed still but LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employed still but LCWRA

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
This question also applies to my Universal Credit claim. 

Despite me telling my employer my health issues and I haven’t been in receipt of any wages from them since May 2021. 

I am claiming ESA and UC (including housing element) and still employed? Is this perfectly acceptable? As I am in receipt of zero wages from my employer. 

Though UC are now asking me to declare my earnings and it’s making me feel stressed. Because I know how weird it is to be LCWRA and still employed. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Although you're still employed by your employer, you receive no earnings so it doesn't affect either of your benefits.
    bluefox said:

Though UC are now asking me to declare my earnings and it’s making me feel stressed. Because I know how weird it is to be LCWRA and still employed. 

You can't declare earnings that you haven't received. When you're PAYE DWP usually check with HMRC for earnings anyway. Just put a message onto your journal and tell then you don't receive any earnings because you're not actually working.
    There's nothing weird about being found to have LCWRA and still being employed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @bluefox
    Under Universal Credit  people can work and and still be treated as having LCWRA.  
    Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • bluefox
    bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
    Options
    Although you're still employed by your employer, you receive no earnings so it doesn't affect either of your benefits.
    bluefox said:

You can't declare earnings that you haven't received. When you're PAYE DWP usually check with HMRC for earnings anyway. Just put a message onto your journal and tell then you don't receive any earnings because you're not actually working.
    There's nothing weird about being found to have LCWRA and still being employed.
    They keep asking me about my earnings every month at the moment, poppy. And I’m finding it’s adding to the stress of ‘being on benefits’. I’ll drop them a journal message. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’ll drop them a journal message. 
    That's a good idea @bluefox, let us know when you hear more :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ggloria007
    ggloria007 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    Options
    i am in a simialr situation, i am not working but I am still under company sick scheme which is 32 weeks full pay and 16 weeks half pay .. currently recieving half pay ... would this be a problem? i have just applied for ESA... 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    i am in a simialr situation, i am not working but I am still under company sick scheme which is 32 weeks full pay and 16 weeks half pay .. currently recieving half pay ... would this be a problem? i have just applied for ESA... 
    Only if it includes SSP because you can't be paid New style ESA at the same time as SSP. For the ESA you must have paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years 2019/20 and 2020/21.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once your SSP entitlement ends after 26 weeks you can receive ESA while receiving contractual sick pay. You should also use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC (which you can receive while entitled to SSP).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Once your SSP entitlement ends after 26 weeks

Typo, that should be 28 weeks.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Once your SSP entitlement ends after 26 weeks

Typo, that should be 28 weeks.
    Thanks, poppy.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ggloria007
    ggloria007 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    Options
    poppy & calotti, thank you both 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @ggloria007. Glad we could help you. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.