After ideas on where I can take my son to help support his emotional well being and social skills — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

After ideas on where I can take my son to help support his emotional well being and social skills

Options
Andbreath
Andbreath Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2022 in Children, parents, and families
Hi I am after some ideas where I can take my son , who is 9, to help support his emotional well being and social communication skills. It would need to be somewhere that I could stay with him in the first instance. We live in the Wrexham area but we are happy to travel. Thank you in advance 💚

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Andbreath :) Thank you for joining us!

I've moved your post into our children, parents, and families category so that other parents will be able to find and respond to your post more easily. 

Are you asking for recommendations on acitivity groups? If so, what kind of activities might your son enjoy? For example, does he like sports, arts and crafts, music, and so on.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    do you mean a holiday or an ongoing scheme?  have you considered the woodcraft folk or scouts? 
  • Andbreath
    Options
    I would love home to feel confident enough to do this. But he would want me there to start with. 
  • Andbreath
    Options
    He loves being outdoors and has shown an interest in learning the guitar or drums but I am struggling to find a local tutor with experience of working with SEN children. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Andbreath said:
    I would love home to feel confident enough to do this. But he would want me there to start with. 
    Many groups do allow this if it's an option for you @Andbreath
    I spent a lot of time sat in on various groups when my children were younger. And then progressed to sitting outside for the duration until they built enough confidence to go alone.

There was another parent that began volunteering at the group because her son had SEN and wouldn't go alone but didn't want it to be obvious he'd taken his mum along. She actually continued volunteering long after her son aged out of the group too so she must have enjoyed it!

Are his school supportive at all? They might have some suggestions of local tutors or groups. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.