ESA and Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and Mobility

Options
carolep62
carolep62 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi I was awarded contribution based ESA after my SSP ran out. I was automatically put into the support group as I was going through cancer treatment and receiving chemotherapy and radiotherapy. 

I was recently awarded PIP I scored 9 points for daily living and 10 points for mobility as I have been left with nerve damage in the tips of my fingers and feet after chemo. This is a painful condition and makes getting around difficult. 

I was wondering if when my ESA is due to be reviewed would I be eligible because of my limited mobility?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,635 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At the moment reviews are still currently suspended. When you do have a review sometime in the future, if you're not still going through treatment such as chemo or radiotherapy or waiting to receive it in the following 6 months then you will be assessed as normal.
    You would then need to look at the descriptors to see which one applies. Mobilising activity maybe possible but for this they also look at your ability to use a self propel wheelchair.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carolep62
    carolep62 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    @poppy123456 thanks for the info and the link. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Reviews are not suspended, they have restarted, but to a limited number of people depending on how long ago they was reviewed. I contacted ESA a few minutes ago and they told me they have started back up this week. So if been waiting more than 3 years expect letter soon.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.