If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA, Maintenance loan and reductions as a Disabled student.

Options
Mitchythe3rd
Mitchythe3rd Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi, wondered if anyone has experience in this/could help
I recently received an over payment letter from ESA asking me to pay back my 9250 maintenance loan as I have been over-payed during term time due to taking out a student loan ( I was unaware of this) so will be paying it back.

My confusion now is that it says during term time, my ESA will be reduced from £409 to £10.22, which I'm a little confused with, as if I don't take the loan, would it not remain at the normal 409 amount? am I forced into taking this loan as my ESA will be reduced no matter what due to me being a full time student? A little confused personally, so would appreciate any help anyone could offer :smile:.

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's because if theres a loan available to you then it's expected that you will take the loan, rather than claim benefits. If this wasn't the case then people would claim benefits, rather than take the loan. The rules have always been the same for some means tested benefits and maintenance loans.
    Were you claiming for help with the rent through housing benefit? If so then this may also have been affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mitchythe3rd
    Mitchythe3rd Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I also get housing yes, and PIP. As its only reduced my ESA and not stopped, will my housing now have issues? what's the best route to take from here? as a disabled student, I'm a little worried with it being so close to term time, so any help would be greatly appreciated @poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to contact your Local Authority and tell them about the maintenance loan. This link tells you what maybe affected by maintenance loans. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Student-Support/How-does-student-support-affect-benefits

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.