PIP

Kemmie
Kemmie Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have given up applying for PIP,I was advised to apply and got help to make application by CAB,however it was refused,I did not request any reconsideration as I felt anxious and frustrated that the system should be easier especially with  those of us with disabilities and long term illnesses.

Long story short my case worker at CAB did the MR for me and they insisted that because I was articulate enough to go to the university I was not eligible. Throughout my 3 years at uni I had support from Randstand and DSA. I have just given up and managing my life as I go with the help of family and friends. My social life is zero cause I struggle to go out because of anxiety and take Taxis everywhere.

It is rather frustrating to continue to explain yourself to people how these illnesses affect me and to let them know that I have good and bad days.I have given up for now as the anxiety is unbearable.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Hello again @Kemmie I'm sorry to hear what's happened and how anxious the PIP claim process has made you feel. 

It might be difficult to imagine now, but if you do change your mind and want to challenge the MR decision, then it might be worth considering appealing to Tribunal. 

If you disagree with the DWP decision after a mandatory reconsideration, you can appeal to an independent panel called a tribunal. This is also known as a first-tier tribunal.

Apply to a tribunal (Citizens Advice)

An appeal can be stressful, so it's down to you whether you'd feel comfortable with this. You'd need to send or present really clear evidence of how your condition impacts on your daily living and/or mobility. 

It's good to remember that you can always ask for emotional or practical help from relatives, friends, a support worker or health professional if you need to. And there's the community here too of course. 

Scope's website says government figures show that around 3 in 4 people who appeal have their benefits decision changed at tribunal. Appeals can lead to:

• your award increasing
    • your award staying the same
    • or you losing an award

A benefits adviser, such as the one you've been working with at CAB, can let you know if you have a strong case to appeal the decision.

You'd have 1 month from the date shown on your Mandatory Reconsideration Notice to submit your claim, and if you miss the 1-month deadline, you can still ask the DWP for an appeal if you have a reason.

It can be really hard feeling positive after having your MR declined, so take some time to prioritise your mental health. Many of our members here are going through very similar things, and many have also shared their journey's with PIP here too. 

I hope that's helpful information for you, and if we can help with anything else in the meantime let us know. 

• Kemmie
    Thank you again @Alex_Scope.It has been really stressful and I just feel as though those sitting on the assessment board want you to be totally useless.Going to the university has been a life long ambition for me despite the struggle but its a shame to be put into a box as all my life I have worked professionally advocating for people like us who present with physical or hidden disabilities. I pray that the system changes and adapts to the ever changing world dynamics.

I will take a pause on the tribunal until I am emotionally strong to battle PIP again.Thank you for signposting me again and for all the great job you are doing. Enjoy your weekend.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 484 Empowering
    Welcome @Kemmie and I am so sorry that you have had such a bad experience of not only the PIP process but that you seem to have received completely incorrect advice. 

What was the date of the PIP decision? You can still request a mandatory reconsideration up to 13 months from the date of the DWP's decision provided you give a reason why the request is made late.   You seem to have already decided that you need to recover your strength before you engage with the PIP process again but have a look over various discussions on the forum.

I know you're not new to the forum but if  you'd like to have a look at the rest of the forum, you can find all the latest conversations in our recent discussions category and  all the different topics in our categories page.  You will see that some many people get turned down for PIP, have that decision confirmed at mandatory reconsideration but win at appeal.  It is a very lengthy and grueling process and the process and the delays can have a huge impact on people's mental and physical wellbeing.  Please remember, though, that this community is incredibly supportive and will be with you every step of the way .

• Kemmie
    Thank you so much @Sue_Scope for reaching out.My MR was 22nd March 2022 and they got back within 4 weeks to say they are maintaining their decision not to award PIP so I decided rather than being boxed into a corner I will continue developing my career/ skills and live within my means. It is indeed a very frustrating and gruelling process but as advised I will look round on the forum.I appreciate your time.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 484 Empowering
    @Kemmie it's entirely your decision but you still have plenty of time to change your mind.  Do keep in touch and let us know what you decide to do and if we can help at all. Take care
  • Kemmie
    Thank you @Sue_Scope.🙏
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,924 Championing
    You are welcome @Kemmie. It is the very least you deserve. If we can do anything else to support you, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are all here for you  :)
  • Kemmie
    Thank you very much @L_Volunteer for the reassurance.