Student Finance Special support Element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Student Finance Special support Element

Mitchythe3rd Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I've recently just found out that I could be entitled to the special support element part of the student loan. Is there a reason why they haven't mentioned this to me before when re-applying? I'm just about to enter my 3rd year, and I currently am In receipt of  ESA and PIP but have never been given the special support element part of my student loan, even though I'm classed in the severe disabled category, anyone got any idea why and is it too late for me to appeal this decision? 


  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Disability Gamechanger
    You can always call and ask: 0300 100 0607
    When you originally applied you should of been asked the question about extra support available. 
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    I'm glad you've found out now @Mitchythe3rd and I hope your able to benefit from that extra support during your studies. Let us know if you do find out more when you call.

    When I was at university (some time ago now!) I think it used to be called a maintenance grant. 

    Have you spoken to Disability Services at your university? Perhaps they can help shed some light on things with you? :)
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ConnerSnow
    ConnerSnow Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited December 2022
    Hello there, Mitchythe3rd. Did you solve that eventually? I really hope so. Next year I'm entering my second year. I tried calling them by the number above but couldn't reach them. What should I do? My dad has a financial manager [Removed by moderator - advertising], so I guess I could ask him for help. Still, I'd be extremely grateful for your help, guys. I hope it's still possible to get it and it won't take me much time. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    @ConnerSnow That link you posted is for USA but Scope is a UK based charity. The phone number in the comment above is for UK so if you live in USA it won't help you. I also reported the link for advertising, which isn't allowed on the forum.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 810 Scope online community team
    Hello @ConnerSnow,

    We just want to let you know we’ve edited your comment because it contained advertising. For more information about why we removed this, please consider our online community house rules.

    All the best,


    Online community team


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.