My song about a hopeless situation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My song about a hopeless situation

Options
Bingo
Bingo Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
My knees are shot and my wife has an eating disorder. What a combination eh? 🤣. I laugh cos I have to. You just get on with it but sometimes I scream or actually I wish I could scream but you never can. I'm also a heavy drinker. Have been since I was a teenager. Sounds desperate I know but it's not really.  We havent had a bad life, just hindered by both our issues.

Anyway I wrote and recorded this on my crappy bedroom music gear which pretty much sums it up. 

Happy to hear any opinions good or bad. I'm not a singer but I love music. It almost keeps me sane. 

https://youtu.be/T4UL8MXu0qE

Comments

• Bingo
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @Bingo I enjoyed your song. Well done. Does expressing yourself in this way in music help you. I think music keeps a lot of us sane. Take care.

Thank you.

Yes it does. Not all of my stuff is depressing, a lot of it is humorous.  It just depends how I am feeling but without doubt since I became disabled and with the various other challenges in life (which of course are nothing compared to many) its my go to thing to escape reality.  I would encourage anyone able bodied, happy or suffering to take up music as a release or a way to channel emotion be it anger, love or happiness.  I can lose four hours in my muso man cave in a heartbeat messing about with stuff.   Even if you have a twenty quid second hand acoustic guitar, if you get into it then it will change your life.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,436 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @bingo wow,  what great music you made. Your singing is spot on, sounds like it belongs in the charts.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Bingo
    Options
    Lol your too kind but thanks.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree this is genuinely really, really good @bingo! You have real talent. I'm glad that music is a positive outlet for you :) 

I'm sorry to hear that you and your partner both face health issues, and that you've been drinking heavily. Is that something you've sought any help for before?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Bingo
    Options
    I agree this is genuinely really, really good @bingo! You have real talent. I'm glad that music is a positive outlet for you :) 

I'm sorry to hear that you and your partner both face health issues, and that you've been drinking heavily. Is that something you've sought any help for before?
    To be honest I've had a love affair and at times a nightmare with the booze since I was 14. I'm now 56. The lines in that song about reaching out for props and your saviour wrapping you in a golden glow is exactly that. When it gets too much a huge tumbler of Scotch sorts it out but "just for a while". I'm probably painting a grim picture here as I've had a great life really just always full of ups and downs and right now it's down and I was at a bit of a low yesterday, still am.

It solves nothing of course and just makes it worse. Plus it impacts on my Arthritis as I've put on tons of weight again (I go up and down) and I'm way too fat to get my knees done. I'm my own worst enemy but it's compounded by the problems my wife faces. When we both manage these conditions things are great until they are not again.

Still, it's given me some good writing material. Thanks for all the kind responses. I posted on here as it felt about the only place I could be honest.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Bingo How have things been for you more recently? I appreciate it has been a little while since you last posted on this thread now.

I want to make sure you have access to the support you need and deserve but I am also aware that things might have changed since.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to help. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Bingo I like your song and the musicianship, very good especially as I assume you played all the instruments yourself.

i play bass guitar by the way 🎸 🙂

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Bingo
    edited October 2022
    Options
    leeCal said:
    @Bingo I like your song and the musicianship, very good especially as I assume you played all the instruments yourself.

i play bass guitar by the way 🎸 🙂
    Thanks. Yes I wrote and recorded it all myself. I'm a guitarist I guess first. I bumble my way through bass and keys / synth and cobble together drum tracks in pro tools or downloaded chopped up drum tracks although much of the drums on that was manually done via the midi keyboard (probably why it sounds a bit chaotic) 🤣

As for the singing. I never set out to sing and I don't consider myself a singer but someone has to do it!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,718 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We could form a group..problem being I don't play anything and can't carry a tune in a bucket, but @bingo well done I'm glad I listened to it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The first band I was in @woodbine Was so bad we needed a getaway driver! 🤣

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Bingo
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Bingo How have things been for you more recently? I appreciate it has been a little while since you last posted on this thread now.

I want to make sure you have access to the support you need and deserve but I am also aware that things might have changed since.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to help. We are all here for you  :)

Thanks. Im ok but I appreciate your concern.  I was at a pretty low ebb when I posted that (probably half cut). Its impossible to talk to anyone really about my / our situation.  Probably why I put it to music.  It is like the song says (you cant tell because its so bizarre).  It is what it is, we have a great life really. Pity it has its demons also for want of a better word.

Its always been like this for me really.  Im either flying high with not a care in the world or it all comes crashing down. Never a happy medium.  Im not moaning though, there are millions of people worse off.  I just felt like sharing, just a bit.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.