PIP for ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP for ADHD

Options
UDE604
UDE604 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been online reading through forums for a long time seeking information on ADHD diagnoses and PIP. 

I've read some complete horror stories, but I wanted to share my experience, because it's been completely seamless. 

I had my ADHD diagnosis back in 2016, but I've never claimed PIP because I work, but found myself needing extra support and this is what I use my PIP for. I have some comorbid neurodiversity and mental health conditions, so these do also impact my daily living. 

Although the process has been seamless, I've had to do quite a bit of fighting along the way! I had to really stand my ground with my GP to refer me onto a speciality secondary mental health team. I got to be seen by a Psychiatrist as a short term intervention pathway, and again they tried to discharge me. I simply refused to be discharged and fought for what I needed, which was support from an OT, Care Coordinator and speciality talking therapy. At times, it was draining, but I go there. I used all of these assessments and clinic letters to complete my PIP assessment. 

I had a Support Worker from a local charity to help me put my application together and we submitted that. I had a video assessment about 4 months after that and the assessor was a CPN and she really understood. 1 month later a Decision Maker called me and awarded me PIP. 

Just wanted to put a positive story out there and open that line of discussion if anyone's struggling :smiley: 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @UDE604 :) It's great to have you with us!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm really glad to hear that it all went well. It's always good to hear a positive story, as our posts are often (understandable) skewed towards negative experiences.

How have you been finding the talking therapy? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • DeltaBMike
    DeltaBMike Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your encouraging post. I was diagnosed with ADHD in 2014 (I was in my fifties) and things changed negatively from then. Like you I have some comorbid and neurodiversity and mental health conditions and I’m getting more and more disheartened (depressed) because each condition is treated separately from the others and it’s not working because they’re all related. I didn’t know, until I saw your post that there was even such a thing as choice in the system; I certainly wouldn’t have thought of requesting referral to a speciality secondary mental health team. Thank you for the positivity.
  • Sam786
    Sam786 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2023
    Options

I'm also new to the forum and would like to share a positive news as well.

I have ADHD diagnosis back in 2014, but I have never claimed PIP because I am in a full-time employment. I take ADHD medication however, for the last few years this medication has started hyperactivating my bladder and causes urinary incontinence symptoms. Controlling severe urgency, managing toilet needs on daily bases is really challenging. The videourodynamics performed at urology department in hospital confirmed that I have got a significant overactive bladder with significant obstruction. I trialed other ADHD medications but nothing worked in controlling my ADHD symptoms. Now I do not take extended slow release but only the fast acting ADHD medication only in the morning to help me with the most essential and strenuous work. In afternoons, weekends or other holidays I do not take the medication and my all ADHD symptoms stays uncontrolled.

I was interviewed online by an assessor and DWP did not award any points for both daily living or mobility activities. The mandatory reconsideration notice decision was exactly the same. I went to HMCTS and won the appealed. I am now awarded with enhanced living and standard mobility rates for 5 years based on majority (>50%) of the time my ADHD stays uncontrolled).

• Sam786
    Sam786 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2023
    Options

I'm also new to the forum and would like to share a positive news as well.

I had an ADHD diagnosis back in 2014, but I have never claimed PIP because I am in full-time employment. I take ADHD medication however, for the last few years this medication has started hyperactivating my bladder and causing urinary incontinence symptoms. Controlling severe urgency, managing toilet needs on daily bases is really challenging. The videourodynamics performed at the urology department confirmed that I have got a significant overactive bladder with significant obstruction. I trialed other ADHD medications but nothing worked in controlling my ADHD symptoms. Now I do not take extended slow release but only the fast acting ADHD medication only in the morning to help me with the work. Afternoons, weekends or other holidays I do not take the medication and my ADHD symptoms stay uncontrolled.

I was interviewed online and DWP did not award any points for both daily living or mobility activities. The mandatory reconsideration notice decision was exactly the same. I went to HMCTS and won the appeal. I am awarded with enhanced living and standard mobility rates based on (>50%) of time my ADHD stays uncontrolled.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.