PIP telephone assessment. Are these kinds of questions the norm? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP telephone assessment. Are these kinds of questions the norm?

Options
jaybird12345
jaybird12345 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had my telephone assessment last week. I had read CAB advise pages and was expecting questions about the difficulties I face living with my medical condition. I had also read that the benefit is not means tested however I was asked questions suchas how many bedrooms do you have, do you owe anyone money , what kind of car do you have - when I relied with the make she said 'that'll be a 4 x 4 is it' Is this type of questioning the norm nowadays TIA

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They can ask many different types of questions which can tell them a lot about you. They are trying to gather more information to support your claim. 
    The debt question for example is very relevant and can tell them whether you’re able to manage your money. This would be relevant to the making budgeting decisions activity. 
    You are correct PIP isn’t means tested.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the kinds of questions you were asked @jaybird12345 I'm sure any members in a similar position will find it reassuring to read your post. 

How are things going this weekend? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jaybird12345
    Options
    Thank you for asking! I'm still disheartened by my telephone Assessment. I have a late onset, rare form of muscular dystrophy. Symptoms suchas drop foot started appearing around 2000 and have progressed over the years. Around 2018 I began panicking as the strength in my shoulders and hands  is declining . I've avoided  trying to claim any benefits hencefar as I've always thought there are people with worse problems than me. But now I really need financial support to adapt my house, buy an electric chair , pay for chiropodist or even minor things like going to a hairdressers to get my hair washed because I can't raise my arms  etc. Thr hospital has provided me with sticks, splints and a rollator. Based on some of the stories I've read I don't think I'll score enough 'points'.  My point ia I need the financial support now to help me extend the lengrh of time I can live an independant life  Of course I may be stressing prematurely as my Assessor may well have been able to interpret my condition by asking how many bedrooms i have. I'm just going to wait  patiently until October . 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This process can be quite stressful at the best of times @jaybird12345 and I understand your concerns. Thanks for explaining what's led to this, it's very helpful :)

It can sometimes be hard to accept we need help, I know I can certainly be quite stubborn in that regard, but it's important to remember that we are worthy of support. Sometimes I like to think, if a friend were in the same position, we would obviously encourage them to reach out for help, so why not do that for ourselves? 

It is positive to read that you have taken steps in this direction though, and I wish you all the best for a positive outcome over the coming weeks. 

If we can help with anything in the meantime, just ask.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jaybird12345
    Options
    I'm not ashamed to ask for help in fact I'm desperate  for it and now is the righr time to seek it hence the claim. because my condition didn't really start effecting me until around 2000 when I was 40 my family and friends can't seem to accept the level to which I have deteriorated . My daughter has told me that I just want people to feel sorry for me, my husband has told me I'm lazy. I would like to move to a bungalow and was complaining to one of my sons about how much rubbish we had. He told me I shiould just do daily tip trips! I can't walk unaided at all let alone take things to a tip!  I'm told to take more exercise, lose weight ,it's mind over matter. So when I encountered all these questions at my Assessment that I didn't understand I just fell apart. But I realize I'm being silly as I haven't had a decision yet 

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Good morning @jaybird

You're not being silly at all and you will see from the various discussions on this forum that many people find the health assessment a distressing and nerve racking experience. Unfortunately there are long delays in the PIP process so you may have a long wait for the decision.  If the decision isn't what you hoped for please be aware that you can challenge that decision by appealing that decision by requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration. While it is true that not many decision are revised at this point and claimants have to pursue an appeal, many claimants are successful on appeal. 

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Adviser

• shellbell20
    shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for asking! I'm still disheartened by my telephone Assessment. I have a late onset, rare form of muscular dystrophy. Symptoms suchas drop foot started appearing around 2000 and have progressed over the years. Around 2018 I began panicking as the strength in my shoulders and hands  is declining . I've avoided  trying to claim any benefits hencefar as I've always thought there are people with worse problems than me. But now I really need financial support to adapt my house, buy an electric chair , pay for chiropodist or even minor things like going to a hairdressers to get my hair washed because I can't raise my arms  etc. Thr hospital has provided me with sticks, splints and a rollator. Based on some of the stories I've read I don't think I'll score enough 'points'.  My point ia I need the financial support now to help me extend the lengrh of time I can live an independant life  Of course I may be stressing prematurely as my Assessor may well have been able to interpret my condition by asking how many bedrooms i have. I'm just going to wait  patiently until October . 
    I was reading your comments and had to reach out. Yes, PIP asks weird questions. They asked me if I drive, I haven't for 8 years, as I was abroad and came back never renewing my licence and now because of my eyesight and anxiety I don't want to drive although I probably could if I wear glasses and have my Menieres disease in check.  They asked me twice which hand my mobile phone was in. The same answer was given twice as I have lost half my hearing in one ear, and have tinnitus. They asked me how my tinnitus sounded, I couldn't even put that into words. I guess everyone has a different perception of what it sounds like.  They did make a decision quickly though within a couple of days.   I can't believe what I am hearing about your family, but to be honest, it is not uncommon, my family were much the same with my depression and anxiety as it isn't a visible illness such as a broken leg nor is my Meniere's.   I found this link for you for adaptations to your home, I hope it is of some use. https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/family-and-care/illness-and-disability/funding-to-adapt-your-home-for-accessibility This is a welcoming forum, so if you ever feel you need to talk please pop in, as I do.   Thinking about you.   
  • jaybird12345
    Options
    Thankyou shellbell20 My mother had Meniere's so I absolutely commiserate with you. I remember one 'episode' she desctibed whereby she was literally struck down whilst out shopping and she felt she was in a sort of coma where she knew what was going on around her but couldn't do or say anything.It's an awful condition.I despair of my family. My oldest son got married last year and asked me if I really needed to use my rollator! I'll definately look at that link . Thank you again
  • shellbell20
    shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
    Options
    Thankyou shellbell20 My mother had Meniere's so I absolutely commiserate with you. I remember one 'episode' she desctibed whereby she was literally struck down whilst out shopping and she felt she was in a sort of coma where she knew what was going on around her but couldn't do or say anything.It's an awful condition.I despair of my family. My oldest son got married last year and asked me if I really needed to use my rollator! I'll definately look at that link . Thank you again
    No problem, it's amazing how many things that are out there which help people who own homes or rent. I hope that one day your family will understand, perhaps print a copy of your illness and leave it on the coffee table for them to read, so they can gain a better understanding of what you are going through alone.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.