Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is SunshineGirlx! Had my PIP telephone assessment yesterday and don’t know how to feel.

Options
SunshineGirlx
SunshineGirlx Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, first post so apologies if I mess anything up.

Like the title says, I had my telephone assessment yesterday. I expected to feel relieved when it was over, but I don’t. I still can’t seem to wind down from it.

On the one hand, nerves didn’t get the better of me (which is what usually happens on the phone) and I was able to speak well.

On the other hand, I felt extremely rushed and the assessor seemed to try to move me onto the next question a lot of the time. My answers to the questions became very rushed as I felt overwhelmed with the pace of the conversation, and there’s a lot I didn’t manage to say. Also, I was expecting the assessor to ask questions based on my form, but although there were some similarities, the questions didn’t seem to be in any kind of order and were worded differently. I didn’t even look at the copy of my form in front of me. The assessor was also kind of judgemental when I explained one of my answers which was really upsetting. 

I think, overall, I’m more disheartened than anything. I’ve struggled so much my entire life and finally decided to apply for PIP (after doing a self-test to check I was eligible). I felt the assessment was finally going to be the chance to be heard, but I didn’t feel heard at all. 

Did anyone else feel their assessment went badly and still ended up being awarded something? My form and supporting evidence basically says all that needed to be said, but I’m worried the assessor’s report will take away from that. 

Comments

• claregrace
    claregrace Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Hi, I really feel for you. I had my telephone assessment recently and felt very similar to you. In the next couple of days call the dwp and ask to be sent a copy of the report, they will do that quickly then at least you will know what the decision maker will be told. At that point maybe come back for some advice. I felt my assessment went the way yours did but when I got my report I was fairly happy. That was the second time I applied for pip. My first time was a failure as I didn't realise how I should communicate my situation properly and hadn't provided any evidence. You are at the early stage of a long process, it may or may not go straight forward. I got very upset after my first application but that only hurt  me and didn't help. You will get there, just try and relax and take each step as it come. Best wishes
  • BrendaBird
    BrendaBird Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
  • SunshineGirlx
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words, Clare. I wouldn’t wish this struggle on anyone but it’s nice knowing someone can relate. I’ll get my mum to ring the DWP and request a copy of the report. 

The assessor did keep letting me know when they’d made a note of something I’d said, but there’s so much I didn’t manage to say. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,529 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to feel this way after the assessment because you will keep trying to second guess yourself. At the moment it's impossible to speculate anything.
    If you're already experiencing anxiety then requesting a copy of the assessment report may not be a good idea because it often causes even more anxiety that you already have. This happens a lot on here.
    If you do go ahead and request it please remember that it's not the decision letter. It's a recommendation to the decision maker. Whilst they mostly do go with the report, it has been known for them to go against it.
    Decision timescales from when the report is returned to DWP is 2-12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BrendaBird
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hell0 sunshine Girl 
    You put mess on  regards pip unfortunately I am not able to reply not understand how .I had assessment with pip I felt very angry I was not heard the lady was typing so fast she said I had good eye contact she never looked at me once they just put down what they feel there was big thing in the papers about this you are not alone I would write a letter to them and appeal again xx
  • SunshineGirlx
    Options
    Thank you, Poppy. I’ll have to have a think about the report situation it seems. Is there a certain time scale for when you can request it, or could I maybe request it in a few weeks if I feel like I’m in a better state to read it? 
  • BrendaBird
    Options
    Caused me alot of anxiety xx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I think you were meant to have commented on this thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/95298/hi-my-name-is-sunshinegirlx-had-my-pip-telephone-assessment-yesterday-and-don-t-know-how-to-feel#latest
     I would write a letter to them and appeal again xx

You can't challenge the decision until the decision's been made. Once it has, if you're not happy you can request the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) which is the first step to appeal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Is there a certain time scale for when you can request it

No there isn't.
  • BrendaBird
    Options
    Hi Sunshine girl you are not alone there was big in the papers about the people doing the assessments they only write what they want .I had my assessment got told my eye Contact was perfect the lady was so busy typing she never looked at me I was in chronic pain .I was angry I have appealed it again waiting for my tribunal date xxx
  • BrendaBird
    Options
    Yes you can appeal it again it has to be in certain time it should tell you in your letter x
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @SunshineGirlx welcome to our great group and i am so glad you have meet our fantastic Poppy, who is one of our most knowledgeable member in this kind of thing.
    Claiming PIP for most of us is very stressful, i would say you are half way there now, so well done, this waiting time now is also a stress, so try and think of other things whilst you are waiting.

Have you had the chance to look around the site yet, we have lots going on from chats/threads/debates/art/games
    The Coffee lounge under categories is a really good place to start. 
    Any problems just ask, some one is bound to be on line to help you.
  • BrendaBird
    Options
    Welcome sunshine girl xx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes you can appeal it again it has to be in certain time it should tell you in your letter x

As advised on your other thread, you can't appeal anything until the decision is made and no decisions been made yet for sunshinegirl. First step to appeal is the Mandatory Reconsideration. It should be requested within 1 month of the date of the decision but with good reason you have 13 months.
  • BrendaBird
    Options
    Yep that's it thanks 
  • BrendaBird
    Options
    Hello if I want yo go in to art and crafts group and I wish to leave a comment do I sign in to get into the group 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BrendaBird :) Do you mean our KaleidoScope thread for people to share their arts and crafts? 

If so, you can find it by clicking this link

If you want to find it again in the future, you can visit the coffee lounge category. You should be able to see it at the top of the page.

To join in, you can use your account to comment on the post as you've done here. To add an image, click the small icon that looks like a landscape picture at the top of the comment box, and upload one from your device.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • BrendaBird
    Options
    Thank you very much x
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great to see you getting around the site @BrendaBird
  • jaybird12345
    jaybird12345 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi, Sunshinegirl, I had exactly the same experience myself. I felt very rushed which I sort of understand because they must have a lot of applicants however the request to answer just yes or no  to questions didn't give me the opportunity to show my particular circumstances. I was very upset afterwards as I felt assumptions were being made about and I'm not normally paranoid but I'm going to be patient and wait for the decision. I was told it would be 6-8 weeks
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.