Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Find out about change in PIP from ESA

Options
SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
I am presently in receipt of both PIP and ESA and am due to be reassessed for PIP towards the end of this year/early next year.

I have received no communication from PIP regarding undertaking this reassessment. Today I received a letter from ESA to advise my disability premium would be coming to an end in September as I had not reapplied for PIP. However, my reassessment isn’t due for three plus months so unsure why it is being stopped so early.

Can anyone advise what to do regarding this as not only have I not been contacted regarding reassessment my claim doesn’t end until the end of this year so my premiums should continue until then.

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your PIP award may have been extended whilst they concentrate on new claims. You can phone and ask what the situation is 0800 121 4433 and when you know you can call ESA on 0800 169 0310 and let them know.
  • SMW83
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Your PIP award may have been extended whilst they concentrate on new claims. You can phone and ask what the situation is and when you know you can call ESA on 0800 169 0310 and let them know.
    I’ve just spend a hour and half on the phone to ESA for no one to answer and to be cut off. I will give the PIP number a call.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The last time I had to phone ESA for a family member I found calling bang on 8 best with no waiting. Hope you aren’t waiting long for PIP to answer.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Usually forms are sent to you quite a few months before your award is due to end. Have you received the forms and not returned them by the date stated in the letter? If so then this could be when your PIP is ended.
    Or it could be that your PIP was extended due to the backlogs and they didn't inform ESA of the extension. Either way you will need to ring both PIP and ESA. First ring PIP to ask when exactly your award ends and also ask if they have sent any forms to you in the past couple of months. If they haven't and it's not due to end in September then you can ring ESA and tell them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SMW83
    Options
    Usually forms are sent to you quite a few months before your award is due to end. Have you received the forms and not returned them by the date stated in the letter? If so then this could be when your PIP is ended.
    Or it could be that your PIP was extended due to the backlogs and they didn't inform ESA of the extension. Either way you will need to ring both PIP and ESA. First ring PIP to ask when exactly your award ends and also ask if they have sent any forms to you in the past couple of months. If they haven't and it's not due to end in September then you can ring ESA and tell them.
    So should the forms have been sent to me? They claim they send me a letter saying my claim was coming to an end in March (which I didn’t receive) but I’ve received no forms nor any other attempts at communication (which as been verified by the DWP themselves).
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SMW83 said:
    So should the forms have been sent to me? They claim they send me a letter saying my claim was coming to an end in March (which I didn’t receive) but I’ve received no forms nor any other attempts at communication (which as been verified by the DWP themselves).

If you were awarded by a Tribunal (sounds like you were) then usually they write to you telling you your claim is due to end on X date and if you would like to continue to claim PIP you will need to ring to ask for the forms to be sent to you. If you don't ring then they will of course think you no longer wish to continue with your claim.
    Some claimants have had their awards extended if awarded by a Tribunal and some haven't.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SMW83
    Options
    SMW83 said:

If you were awarded by a Tribunal (sounds like you were) then usually they write to you telling you your claim is due to end on X date and if you would like to continue to claim PIP you will need to ring to ask for the forms to be sent to you. If you don't ring then they will of course think you no longer wish to continue with your claim.
    Some claimants have had their awards extended if awarded by a Tribunal and some haven't.
    Well my initial claim (around 7 years ago) resulted in a Tribunal decision but ever since then my claim has been extended without my involvement such as being told by letter, being contacted by the assessment group and undertaking a brief reassessment on the phone etc. I’ve never had to reapply so assumed that I would be written to or a phone call  to advise me what is going on but I’ve had no communication from PIP in around 4 years other than the yearly update letter.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @SMW83 How have things been for you more recently? I appreciate it has been a little while since you last posted on this thread now.

I want to make sure you have access to the support you need and deserve but I am also aware that things might have changed since.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to help. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.