Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Mutral exchange on housing benefit

JFutter96 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2022 in Start here and say hello!
Hello hoping someone can help.

So I'm I've signed all the papers to do a mutual exchange. 

Was getting all excited it would go through to realise I'm not actually entitled to the extra room.
I have read on line some councils will let you over occupie by 1 bedroom but not if your receiving housing benefit? Is this true? Am I getting my hopes up for.nothing? I'm desperate to get out of my 2 bedroom flat. It doesn't have a garden for the kids and I'm miserable. I want to move to be closer to family and so the kids have a garden but I'm scared this is going to stop me. Does it matter I get housing benefit? Can they refuse a swap just for that reason? I am a carer for my disabled sister also. She stays with me during the week most days and if like her yo have her own room and space when she is in my care also. Does this count for anything? Please let me know.


  • 19steven68
    19steven68 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    I don't believe you will be refused a swap because you receive housing benefit...i live in a 2 bed flat also and get housing benefit(under occupying) and trying for a mutual exchange too, however i'm trying to downsize to a 1 bed with garden and have not been told i cannot swap due to receiving housing benefit. I wish you the best of luck
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,360 Disability Gamechanger
    You said the new property would be over occupying. Did you mean under occupying? This means that there will be too many bedrooms for your family. If so then yes there could be a problem. Your sister staying with you for 5 days may not help that because she’s not actually living with you. 
    For your housing benefit, are you staying with the same Local Authority? If so then it can continue but as a change of address.
    If you’re moving to a different local Authority then you will need to claim Universal Credit for help with any rent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.