Self Employment and LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self Employment and LCWRA

Options
izzyril123
izzyril123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi! I’m new here but I need some help! 
So I’m autistic and I get severe anxiety and extremely overwhelmed in social situations so I get LCWRA on universal credit. 
I decided to start my own online small business this year which is great for me as I don’t need to interact with anyone face to face but i will soon have to register myself as a sole trader.
Which means I will then be classed as self employed.

Will I lose the LCWRA element (£354) from universal credit if I’m self employed or will I still receive it considering my condition hasn’t changed? 

If I lose that money I’ll have no choice but to shut down my business as I’m currently gaining no profit as I’m putting all sales back into more stock growing my business.

Please help me i can’t stop stressing about this! And I’m sorry if this is all worded badly I’m terrible with writing things! Thank you :) 
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    You can continue to receive the LCWRA element included in the calculation of your maximum UC. (If they work contradicts the reason you have been found to have LCWRA then that could prompt a reassessment.)

You do need to report all business income and your expenditure to UC on the last day of every assessment period (on a cash basis) and your earnings will be taken into account (although some will be ignored due to the Work Allowance).

Because you have LCWRA you are excluded from the Minimum Income Floor ( which can otherwise treat self employed as earning more than they actually are).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.