Refused pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused pip

Options
livdot
livdot Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just been refused pip, I have crohns for 35 years, bulging disc , and other issues, I’m so upset I’ve been refused, I felt the letter was a standard letter and didn’t have a clue about my conditions, any advice would be appreciated, karen

Comments

• elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Unfortunately this is pretty common.  The only thing you can do is appeal, then when that's refused go for the tribunal.  Most refusals are overturned at tribunal.  Good luck!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,695 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. When you fill out the forms it's your responsibility to full explain exactly how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities.
    You can challenge the decision by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you have 1 month from the date of the decision to do this. You should put the request in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points.
    Include a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each activity that applies to you. Adding detailed information such as where you were, what exacetly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. You should aim for at least half an A4 side of paper per descriptor that applies.
    The most likely outcome will be the decision remains the same. If this happens you can proceed to Tribunal. Timescales for MR decisions are up to 12 weeks.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @livdot :) 

I'm sorry to hear that your PIP claim wasn't successful at this stage. As the others have explained, you do have a few opportunities to challenge the decision, so all hope isn't lost.

You have a little bit of time to submit the MR, as poppy123456 has said, so I'd suggest that you perhaps take some time to process the outcome and look after your wellbeing before tackling the MR. Do you have anyone with you today who can help to keep you company?

They do send out standard templates, which many people find upsetting. I know it's far easier said than done, but try not to take it too personally. If you take a look through our PIP category (into which I've moved your post), you'll be able to see that many people have been in the same situation as you. I hope this makes you feel a bit less alone!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • livdot
    Options
    livdot said:
    Just been refused pip, I have crohns for 35 years, bulging disc , and other issues, I’m so upset I’ve been refused, I felt the letter was a standard letter and didn’t have a clue about my conditions, any advice would be appreciated, karen

• livdot
    Options
    How do you get the MR form , can u phone up or so u have to write to dwp
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,695 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can either print it yourself or if you don’t have a printer you can just write a letter. Full details here https://www.gov.uk/mandatory-reconsideration/how-to-ask-for-mandatory-reconsideration
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @livdot :) 
    The best way to apply for a reconsideration is to use the CRMR1 mandatory reconsideration request form on GOV.UK, or write a letter to the DWP explaining why you disagree with the decision.

You can call the DWP to ask for a reconsideration, but it’s better to have everything in writing. If you decide to call, make sure you follow up with a letter. The contact details will be on the decision letter from DWP.

(Citizens Advice)

Would completing the form, or writing a letter, be a possibility for you?

• livdot
    Options
    I just can’t believe they said in letter I looked nourished at my video interview, how do they know how I struggle with food, and I made good eye contact, really ! , they haven’t got a clue, sorry for the rant x
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    You don't need to apologise @livdot :) 

We've heard some people say that these kinds of comments have made them feel a bit invalidated. Does that resonate with you at all? 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    livdot said:
    I just can’t believe they said in letter I looked nourished at my video interview, how do they know how I struggle with food, and I made good eye contact, really ! , they haven’t got a clue, sorry for the rant x
    These types of comment are meaningless. Even if people are well nourished, well dressed etc this could simple be result of the care and prompting they receive. The fact of itself says nothing about possible entitlement to,PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Deleted
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry for tagging you @calcotti as I know you don't like it but I was worried that maybe your post above was meant for a different thread and hoped to draw your attention to it before you lose ability to edit it <3 Sorry if I'm wrong though and for tagging you.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Sorry for tagging you @calcotti as I know you don't like it but I was worried that maybe your post above was meant for a different thread
    You’re right! Now deleted. Thanks.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.