If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Farmsgirl! Should my son claim UC?

Options
Farmsgirl
Farmsgirl Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My son has his assessment for Autism last year.  We applied for PIP in October last year and he has not had the assessment yet.  He has now left college and I don't know if he should claim UC.  He lives with me and I work.  He turns 19 on the 22nd.  Any advise?
Tagged:

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    He can apply for UC. Assuming he will be applying for the disability part then he will need to obtain a fit note from your GP, as part of the application process it should ask about health conditions and after you have filled this in it should ask about the dates on the fit note.
    After 4 weeks he will be sent a UC50 form which he will then have to return to the assessment provider, with relevant evidence to support his claim. Continue getting fit notes until a decision is made, he will most likely have to attend an assessment and I’m afraid to say the waiting times for these can be lengthy.

Just to add, when applying for UC fit notes do not turn off work search commitments. It is down to the work coaches discretion to do so. As part of reasonable adjustments they may either reduce or turn off completely although they might not do anything and require him to attend appointments.

After the decision on his capability for work if he is awarded LCWRA he will not be expected to look for work so those commitments will be turned off.

He will most likely have to have a face-to-face or telephone appointment to start his UC claim, this is policy and can be from anything from an ID check to discussing his health issues. Please don’t worry about this, work coaches are not heartless and will try and support your son as much as they can until the assessment has taken place.
  • bg844
    Options
    Also I forgot to add, the waiting times for PIP can be extremely lengthy but saying he has now waited 11 months I would possibly consider chasing his application up. I wouldn’t usually recommend this but seeing as he has been waiting all of that time it may be worth checking. Contact PIP first and they can give you the relevant assessment providers phone number.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,122 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    One other thing comes to my mind. Is your son able to manage his own UC claim? If he isn't then you can become his appointee. If you are his appointee for the PIP then it will be a different process for UC.
    I'd advise the following. Start a claim as if you are him, i did this when for my daughter last year. Once the claim is up and running, put a message onto his journal and ask to become his appointee. Someone will then contact you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Farmsgirl
    Options
    Thanks for your kind assistance. 

I have been chasing the PIP assessors 3 weeks ago they told us they had problems with there appointment booking system.

• bg844
    Options
    I have been chasing the PIP assessors 3 weeks ago they told us they had problems with there appointment booking system.

At least everything is running smoothly-ish then, fingers crossed for an appointment very soon. He should be nearing the top of the list now, if awarded any arrears will be paid back to October (the date he phoned to apply).

Do come back and let us know.
  • Farmsgirl
    Options
    One year later and we have heard back from PIP,  2 points for daily living and 0 mobility.  My son is claiming UC have tried to get fit note but the doctor contacted him and asked him how his autism affects him looking for work he said he don't know . He is currently at the end of a 6 week work focus training programme. He attends but is always late as I am working so not at home to prompt him  to get ready so he can leave the house on time.

I would like to appeal PIP's decision but there were things that he did not want me to disclose as he felt embarrassed so they were left out of the application. Can i include them in our appeal as he is now taking medication and would be going for therapy
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It will depend what exactly was missed out.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.