Sleep apnea and PIP

SandraF27
SandraF27 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have had sleep apnea for 8 years and use a clap machine. I understand that I can claim pip. I also have other medical problems. What else can I claim ? 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,330 Championing
    edited September 2022
    Hi @SandraF27 - & welcome to the community. PIP is how you are the majority of days in regards to the descriptors that are looked at with PIP, which you can see here: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/personal-independence-payment-descriptors-and-scores-april-2022.pdf
    Your night-time concerns would not be taken into account, but if your other medical problems affect your functional ability to perform any of the descriptors it might be a possibility. Have a look at the link above & see if you feel you might score 8 or more points (for a standard award; it's 12 or more points needed for an enhanced award).
    To look at what else you may be able to claim try this benefits calculator: https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/

• Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 484 Empowering
    Good afternoon @SandraF27 and welcome to the online community

PIP is not based on the condition you have or the medication you take. It is based on the level of help you need because of how your condition affects you.

You’re assessed on the level of help you need with specific activities. It’s hard to say if the level of help you need will qualify you for PIP but if your conditions mean that you struggle or cause you to lack motivation and concentration so that you struggle with the PIP activities then you may be eligible.  Use this guide to see if you may be eligible for PIP. 

In addition you may be able to claim benefits if you can’t work because you’re sick or disabled, and/or you’re on a low income or you have no income

If you'd like to have a look at the rest of the forum, you can find all the latest conversations in our recent discussions category, all the different topics in our categories page, and you can meet and chat with other members over in our virtual coffee lounge too.

Let us know if you need a hand with anything, and I hope you enjoy spending time here.

Take care 

Sue 

• stay_positive
    stay_positive Community member Posts: 304 Empowering
    edited April 2023
    I'm being tested for sleep apnea , got appointment 28th this month and will be sent home with the equipment to test while i am asleep , if i do have this condition I don't know whether to report it to PIP, but  it was mentioned during recovery after my hysterectomy . I fall to sleep during the day and always fall to sleep while in the passenger seat of the car . So will see what the results are from it . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    I'm being tested for sleep apnea , got appointment 28th this month and will be sent home with the equipment to test while i am asleep , if i do have this condition I don't know whether to report it to PIP, but  it was mentioned during recovery after my hysterectomy . I fall to sleep during the day and always fall to sleep while in the passenger seat of the car . So will see what the results are from it . 

PIP isn't about a diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities. As you've only recently been awarded PIP you do not need to report any changes unless it's possible to score more points needed for a higher award.

If you report changes you will be sent more PIP2 forms to fill in and return and the whole process starts again. Before doing anything else you should get some expert advice.
  • stay_positive
    I cannot cope wit the stress of going through it all again , I am grateful for the award I got .
  • stay_positive
    Poppy, so when it comes to the review if I need to report anything such as the sleep apnea does it mean I need to apply again for the whole thing or do they look at it and then decided if it is affecting my daily life ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    edited April 2023
    Poppy, so when it comes to the review if I need to report anything such as the sleep apnea does it mean I need to apply again for the whole thing or do they look at it and then decided if it is affecting my daily life ? 

You will be sent review forms, which is a shorter verson of the PIP2 form. On this you'll need to tell them about all of your conditions and how they affect you. It should be treated as a new claim by you and tell them as much detail as possible (without telling your life story)
  • stay_positive
    poppy, thanks, well its a long way off for now , I need to get the sleep apnea test done first , and even if I have it , the CPAP mask should improve the condition so I won't need to add it .
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,925 Championing
    How are you feeling about this at the moment @stay_positive? Hopefully, you can have a sleep apnea test as soon as possible and access appropriate support  :)