Does anyone have any advice for phone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any advice for phone assessment

Options
buntytmw
buntytmw Community member Posts: 38 Connected
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all
have a phone assessment on Wednesday , I have severe copd at the age of 33 which affects my daily life as I’m always very breathless and fatigue I also suffer from anxiety due to my condition which limits me to going out does anyone have any advice as it’s over the phone ?
many thanks 

Comments

• buntytmw
    Options
  • buntytmw
    Options
    hi yes ive printed it off and im going to make lots of notes too, do you think phone assessments have slightly different outcomes due to not being able to fully assess someone who they cant visibly see ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @buntytmw :) I hope that your assessment goes well. It's good that you'll have your form in front of you, along with some notes. Many people find it helpful to have a few real world examples prepared for each relevant descriptor.

Other than that, I'd suggest that you ensure your phone is fully charged, and that you're in a quiet environment if possible. You can have someone sit with you during the call, if you'd find that helpful.

Remember to take your time when answering the questions, and ask them to repeat the question if you didn't hear or understand it the first time around.

Some people also like to have a drink and snack with them, as the phone calls can be reasonably long (but don't worry if yours is short! The lengths vary). 

Are you receiving enough support to help you manage your conditions at the moment, including your anxiety?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • M_1967
    M_1967 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @buntytmw hope your assessment went well.  I had mine on 12 Sept and got a text on 19th to say I had been to awarded PIP. My assessment was over the phone and lasted about an hour.  They say it takes between 6 to 8 wks to get a decision.  Good luck
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us @M_1967. It sounds like things have been really positive for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • M_1967
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us @M_1967. It sounds like things have been really positive for you  :)
    Yes, they have.  I would like to thank everyone who helped me with advice and guidance. Anything I can do to help others, I will.
  • M_1967
    Options
    M_1967 said:
    Yes, they have.  I would like to thank everyone who helped me with advice and guidance. Anything I can do to help others, I will.
    Btw, I got my decision letter yesterday.  It came approx 5 weeks after my phone assessment.  I got my back payment on Tuesday (20th).  
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you pleased with the decision @M_1967, I'm glad to hear that your back payment came through as well :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • M_1967
    Options
    Are you pleased with the decision @M_1967, I'm glad to hear that your back payment came through as well :)
    Thank you 🙂.  Yes I am happy with the decision.  Hopefully others will be pleased with their decisions and if I can help in any way I would be happy to offer any advice.
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    I had my phone assessment and I just went with the flow of the conversation. Answered the questioins. Your answers are typed into a computer. The assesser told me that once she finishes the assessment it goes to dwp and they pass it onto a decision maker, so she couldn't give me a time period of when I'd know as it would be in the hands of DWP. I suppose it depends on who you get on the day. 
  • M_1967
    Options
    wendy41 said:
    I had my phone assessment and I just went with the flow of the conversation. Answered the questioins. Your answers are typed into a computer. The assesser told me that once she finishes the assessment it goes to dwp and they pass it onto a decision maker, so she couldn't give me a time period of when I'd know as it would be in the hands of DWP. I suppose it depends on who you get on the day. 
    I received a text telling me they'd received my report and I'd hear within 8 weeks.  I hear in about 5.  Hope this helps and good luck. 🤞
  • buntytmw
    Options
    Hi all yes my telephone assessment went really well she was very empathetic and lovely and said at the end she will do her best for me does that sound positive you think ?
    called capita today and they said they sent over the report today so will be asking pip for a copy anyone had the same on their decision as the report or? 
    Many thanks for your comments 
  • M_1967
    Options
    buntytmw said:
    Hi all yes my telephone assessment went really well she was very empathetic and lovely and said at the end she will do her best for me does that sound positive you think ?
    called capita today and they said they sent over the report today so will be asking pip for a copy anyone had the same on their decision as the report or? 
    Many thanks for your comments 
    Glad it went well. I didn't get a copy of the report until I received my decision letter. Good luck and hope you get the outcome you want x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The assessor shouldn’t have said anything to you because it’s not their job to do that. 
    Once the report is returned a decision can take 2-12 weeks. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.