Hi, my name is kb65! I have lumbar spondylosis. What are my odds of being successful? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is kb65! I have lumbar spondylosis. What are my odds of being successful?

Options
kb65
kb65 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm 57 and a health care assistant and have suffered chronic back pain for nearly 20 years. I' was diagnosed with lumbar spondylosis 18 months ago and am on a cocktail of meds to control the pain with Spinal block injections when the waiting list allows. I just applied for pip as I'm now struggling to hold down a full time job. Just wondering what my odds are being successful in my claim with my condition..any thoughts? 
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    edited September 2022
    Options
    PIP is not based on a diagnoses but whether the descriptors apply to you. Some people with the same condition may get PIP and some won't. So it hard for me to say if you will be awarded. All the best though.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't about your ability to work, people claim PIP and work. As we don't know exactly how your conditions affect you, it's not possible to tell you whether you would be successful.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good morning @kb65 and welcome to our great group.
    There are a lot of members on the forum, including myself, who suffer with spondylosis as the others have said it does depend on how things are for you on most of the days. 
    When you are ready have a look around the site, we are a very friendly bunch and can offer a great deal of support.
    Any problems just ask, some one is bound to be on line.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @kb65 thanks for sharing how your condition has been affecting you, it sounds like a real struggle at times. I wish you all the best for your PIP application, and please ask if you need a hand with anything in the meantime.

You might like to visit our PIP category as well as our Chronic Pain and Pain Management category, if you'd like to connect with members in similar situations. 

Let us know how everything goes as and when you can :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi kb65,
    I too have lumbar spondylosis (and cervical).
    Your odds on getting PIP depend on how you complete your application.
    Before you get to your application, I would recommend the following (for Daily Living):
    1. Make notes of how your back is and how it affects you on a day-to-day basis.  Keeping a diary of a complete day for a week or so will give a better idea (I did one that covered 2 weeks).  Don`t just note how your back affects you; also note how you feel because of it (demotivated, down, weepy).
    2. As you walk round your home, take note of how you have to do things:
       Do you need to lean against a counter when you prepare food?
       Do you need to sit down when you prepare food?
       Do you have problems having a shower / bath where a grab bar would help?
       Do you need to lean against something when you clean your teeth (to ease the pain)?
       Have you ever been "caught short" when needing to go to the toilet? (Filled your bags, so to say).
    3. Do you have to take multiple tablets? Do you use a dosette box for that?
        Do you use your phone as a reminder to take medication?
    4. Have you ever cut yourself because the pain takes your mind off your actions?
    Mobility is slightly different.  What I did was:
    1.  Using Google Earth measured the distance to my local shop (79m away).
    2.  Noted where pain starts, gets worse, and stop if I had to.  (If you have to stop and recover, this is more important than a rest because you could argue that, because of the length and number of stops, it is multiple small journeys instead of one.)

I would also recommend that you look at "Benefits and Work" and combine the advice there with the excellent advice from the advisers on here.
    Andy

• kb65
    Options
    Hi there Cartini, did all that except the diary and got turned down because I dint drive an adapted car (it's my sons anyways and not yet been accepted as disabled ) and they assumed as I could walk between 50-200 meters and held down a full time job which I sit down 95% of the time I'm fine? They ignored all of my medical information and ongoing treatment so bit miffed tbh as in constant pain and feel like they've made me me put to be a liar ..Will appeal but not holding my breath.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    kb65 said:
    Hi there Cartini, did all that except the diary and got turned down because I dint drive an adapted car (it's my sons anyways and not yet been accepted as disabled ) and they assumed as I could walk between 50-200 meters and held down a full time job which I sit down 95% of the time I'm fine? They ignored all of my medical information and ongoing treatment so bit miffed tbh as in constant pain and feel like they've made me me put to be a liar ..Will appeal but not holding my breath.
    Hi kb65,
    Don`t lose heart because of the system.  I was awarded enhanced for Daily Living but only 4 points for mobility.
    I submitted a Mandatory Reconsideration which made no difference (this was expected), so I submitted an appeal to be assessed by tribunal.  I also used a representative to go over my paperwork and submit a letter clarifying my circumstances.  I believe the representative turned the tide (so to speak) for me in that I didn`t get to an appeal because DWP "reconsidered" my details and awarded enhanced for Daily Living and Mobility.  They also changed my review date to ongoing.
    Andy

• kb65
    Options
    Thankyou for that..know its a long haul with possibly a disappointing outcome but have to just prove I'm not a liar.

Kim
  • kb65
    Options
    Ok sorry to moan again..feelsike thus us my life now so apologies to all you kind people that are putting up with me! 

About to apply for reconstruction on pip which most of you say will be a resounding NO but since when I first apiued in March ams subsequently since my interview 3 weeks ago I now have other issues plus confirmation on arthritis in Mt knees (again on a waiting list for consultant) should I add this to the reconsideration or just start a new claim from scratch? 

Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A worsening of condition will not be taken into consideration for the MR or Tribunal. If you had the symptoms of arthritis when you filled out the form or at your assessment and you told them how your conditions affect you with that then a diagnosis, will make no difference because PIP isn't about a diagnosis.
    If your conditions have got worse, this must have applied for at least 3 months, so even if you started a new claim it's not going to make a difference at the moment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.