ESA self employed off work due to operation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA self employed off work due to operation

Options
gg2022
gg2022 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hey everyone, my partner has just had a operation and can’t work for 4 months. He went to the job Center to be told himself and I need to apply for UC. I explained when I was off 6 years ago, I claimed ESA for whilst I was off. The advisor then went on to say my partner has only contributed towards class 2 and 4 NI and needs to have contributed towards class 1 to claim ESA (but we have spoken to our accountant and he explained class 1 is employed only) can someone advise us what to do? The advisor has booked me in next week for me to prove I am who
I am so we can go ahead with UC, but we
dont want to claim UC! Please can someone help? Thanks 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Class 2 contributions count for ESA. Class 4 do not. In order to claim new style ESA a full NI record for 2019-20 and 2020-21 will be required. The advice that only Class 1 counts is incorrect.

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for

Depending on your circumstances it may be beneficial to claim UC to top up any ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • gg2022
    Options
    But why am I being asked to make an account for UC when it’s not for me? 

Am I best ringing the national JOB CENTER NUMBER, rather than my local one? Or Citizen Advice? Just I feel she is giving us the wrong information.

thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,591 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    A Job centre is not really the place to go for benefits advice. As calcotti has already advised, if you've paid the correct NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years you can claim New style ESA. You can check your NI record here. https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record
    To apply for New Style ESA see link. https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record It pays £77/week if over 25. A fit note will be needed to be able to claim this.
    UC can be claimed to top up your income, if eligible. The ESA will be deducted in full from the UC. If you live with a partner you claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=54c54747-665e-4221-9c9d-aa1b75241b8f

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited September 2022
    Options
    gg2022 said:
    But why am I being asked to make an account for UC when it’s not for me? 
    If your partner wishes to claim UC then you will need to claim UC too because a UC claim is a couple claim. They would claim first, as part of the process they get a linking claim and you then claim using the linking code. Any UC entitlement is based on your joint circumstances. There may be no entitlement.

If they only want to claim ESA then that is an individual claim and you will not be involved.

Rather than relying on what the JobCentre has said, if your partner wants to claim ESA they should just do it. 

The first thing DWP will do once the claim is made is to check your partner’s NI record to see if they are entitled to be paid.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @gg2022 my hubby as been self employed all his life and i am his book keeper.
    Please listen and action the above information they know what their talkiing about and are correct.
  • gg2022
    Options
    Thanks everyone! He only wants to claim ESA. I have just forwarded him the link to apply for it and he said how can he go ahead when only paying class 2/4?

• gg2022
    Options
    I did attach a photo but there is nothing there 
  • gg2022
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Class 4 will not entitle him to New style ESA. He will need to have paid class 2. As advised, he can apply and DWP will check his NI record, if he’s paid enough then he will receive £77/week. If he hasn’t paid enough he will not be entitled to any money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gg2022
    Options
    Class 4 will not entitle him to New style ESA. He will need to have paid class 2. As advised, he can apply and DWP will check his NI record, if he’s paid enough then he will receive £77/week. If he hasn’t paid enough he will not be entitled to any money.
    So does he click option one: continue to apply for new style ESA
  • gg2022
    Options
    My concern is it says you may not be eligible then comes up with this…

On the first photo attached it says employed and paid NI but he is not employed but has paid NI so do I just click not sure so we can get through to the next stage 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Just tick "not sure" and then proceed to claim ESA. As advised, they check anyway so if he's not paid the correct amount he won't be paid the ESA.
  • calcotti
    Options
    As I advised in my earlier reply
    calcotti said:
    Class 2 contributions count for ESA. Class 4 do not. In order to claim new style ESA a full NI record for 2019-20 and 2020-21 will be required. 
    If he has paid Class 2 for those two years then he has paid the necessary NI.

I confirmed the advice I gave by including the following link in my reply
    https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for
    which clearly states what different types of NI count towards and clearly shows that Class 2 counts for new style ESA.

If he hasn't paid for those years yet he can still pay voluntary Class 2 contributions in order to qualify.

• gg2022
    Options
    Hey everyone, my partner had to drop documents off at the Job Center to go ahead with the ESA claim. The lady at the job center has said the likely hood of it going ahead is slim with him not paying class 1 (which he can’t pay due to being self employed) 

what is going on? I’m being told two different things! 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would just wait and see 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As he was self employed it would be class 2 he will have needed to pay. If he only paid class 4 then he won’t be entitled. They will send a decision letter once a decision is made.
  • calcotti
    edited October 2022
    Options
    gg2022 said:
    Hey everyone, my partner had to drop documents off at the Job Center to go ahead with the ESA claim. The lady at the job center has said the likely hood of it going ahead is slim with him not paying class 1 (which he can’t pay due to being self employed) 

The JobCentreperson is incorrect, they are not advisers. As advised, Class 2 counts for ESA and previously providd you a link to the gov.uk webpage that confirms this.

if he was registered with HMRC as self employed in tax years 2019-20 and 2020-21 he can make up any shortfall by paying voluntary Class 2 NI contributions. These would then be taken into account for ESA purposes 6 weeks after they are paid.

The ESA claim would in case be accepted regardless of NI record and will trigger a Work Capability Assessment. The NI record determines whether or not any ESA is paid but even if it is not if the WCA outcome determination of LCW or LCWRA he would get NI credits (class 1) due to this.
  • gg2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    gg2022 said:

The JobCentreperson is incorrect, they are not advisers. As advised, Class 2 counts for ESA and previously providd you a link to the gov.uk webpage that confirms this.

if he was registered with HMRC as self employed in tax years 2019-20 and 2020-21 he can make up any shortfall by paying voluntary Class 2 NI contributions. These would then be taken into account for ESA purposes 6 weeks after they are paid.

The ESA claim would in case be accepted regardless of NI record and will trigger a Work Capability Assessment. The NI record determines whether or not any ESA is paid but even if it is not if the WCA outcome determination of LCW or LCWRA he would get NI credits (class 1) due to this.
    Thanks so much for this reply. My partner was so annoyed whilst in the job center as she was adamant he won’t get it, and told him the system had changed 🤦🏽‍♀️ I will try to reassure him now
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @gg2022. It is the very least you deserve.

Hopefully, this helps to clarify things and reassure him. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • gg2022
    Options
    You are welcome @gg2022. It is the very least you deserve.

Hopefully, this helps to clarify things and reassure him. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help  :)
    I thought I would update that his claim was accepted, but now has a 24 page document he has to fill out ( FIT TO WORK) completely confused to why he has to fill this out when he physically cannot work after his operation.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.