Hi, my name is timberzz! Are you allowed to work up to 16 hours without LCWRA being affected? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is timberzz! Are you allowed to work up to 16 hours without LCWRA being affected?

Options
timberzz
timberzz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello,

My partner is on universal credit on the hand of limited capability for work and work related activity. 

He would like to try and start working to see if he can manage a few hours a week to boost his confidence and self esteem - but is worried it will affect his benefits.

Can you advise: is he allowed to still claim all his current universal credit benefits and work up to 16 hours without them being affected? 

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no amount of hours you can work when claiming UC with either LCW or LCWRA. However, if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you were found to have LCWRA then it could go against you when you are next reassessed.
    If they start working they will need to report a changed of circumstances and tell them they are working.
    They will have the work allowance which means a certain amount of earnings will be disregarded before the 55% deductions apply.
    If they claim for help with the rent it will be £344, if they don't it will be £573.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @timberzz :) 

Thank you for joining, and for asking about this. You can certainly work and claim LCWRA, yes. I hope that poppy123456's explanation above has helped to clear that up for you. 

Working can be a good way of boosting confidence and self-esteem for sure. Volunteering can be another good option, too. 

Do you mind me asking what kind of work he's looking to get into?

He may like to access one of our employment services, too, if he's interested.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • timberzz
    timberzz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello @Tori_Scope and @poppy123456

Thank you for the reply.

He is looking to get into Early Years Educator work on a part time basis.

His worry is that as the wages are low, if he transitions into working part time and they stop his universal credit (whether automatically or because they then declare him fit to work) that he will not only be worse off during the cost of living crisis but will have to go back into full time work and not be able to manage given his condition.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,675 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I can't give any advice on the work contradicting the reasons why he was found to have LCWRA because i don't know anything about his conditions or the reasons why he was found to have this.
    UC doesn't just stop because you start working, any earnings outside of the work allowance will reduce his UC by 55%.
    He would need to be reassessed for a new decision to be made before they find him fit for work. Lots of people that have LCWRA work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.