Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Really hoping for insight/advice on PIP application

Options
soapyt
soapyt Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I applied for pip mid May, had a telephone assessment mid August. 

After my phone assessment I requested a copy of my report. I added up the points and they only equated to 6. I was really disheartened by my report (as many sadly are) and on a lot of points the assessor had ticked (for example) 'requires an aid' for cooking when I extensively explained to the assessor that I need either supervision or I can't cook at all. I have bowl incontinence caused by a health disease and this stops me being able to safely cook as if I had to abandon the hob and be stuck on the toilet for up to an hour a fire could easily occur as well as the struggle of physically standing for long periods of time to cook.

I wrote a letter to the DWP explaining how I was really upset that the assessor had ticked x box when I feel as though it should have been X box because of such and such reason. The assessor in her justification of which box she selected used the word 'suggests' a lot (for example) the claimant studies X subject which suggests they know how to manage medication independently, the claimant didn't appear tired on the phone which suggests they can cook independently. 

I have called PIP for an update and apparently they have wrote to the assessor for her to give her reasons for why she selected the box she did and they've now received that back but I can't see it.

Do I have ANY chance whatsoever of getting those extra points and being awarded? This process has caused nothing but stress and anguish :(

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would be impossible to predict what the decision will be at this stage. Once the decision is made, if you're not happy then you can challenge that by first requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @soapyt and welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out this morning. I'm sorry to hear how much the assessor's report has upset you, it can be very difficult reading these reports, so make sure you take time to look after your mental health by taking a break. 

Am I right in thinking you haven't yet received a decision letter about your PIP award? As poppy has mentioned, once you have the decision confirmed, you can challenge it by requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration. 

If you'd like a clear overview of all the stages of appealing PIP decisions, then Turn2Us explain things on their website. I hope this is useful for you, and let us know if anything else comes up in the meantime. 

Remember the community is here to support you :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,380 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would be impossible to predict what the decision will be at this stage.
    That was meant to read "wouldn't" not would.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.