If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need help with mobility descriptor for pip

Options
needhelp120
needhelp120 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hello, I can't really seem to workout which mobility descriptor/points I would be entitled to. I have BPD, depression and anxiety. I can travel to familiar/close places by walking distance by myself some days but I become panicked and have anxiety attacks when in public so I can't go anywhere far so that I'm near enough to get home quickly. On most days my housemate will accompany me to familiar places so they can talk for me and deal with strangers and help me to stay calm to avoid overwhelming distress.  If they are unable to accompany me then I would just not go. The last time I was out by myself just in my road a stranger tried to talk to me for directions and it caused me so much distress it triggered a depressive episode and I was bed-bound for the following week. I am unable to go to unfamiliar places by myself. Just the thought, such as when I get appointment letters causes me to spiral into depressive/anxious episodes. If I ever do have to go on an unfamiliar journey my mum will come to get me and take me there as I would have too much apprehensive anxiety to undertake the journey myself. I can't go on public transport by myself as I get so much anxiety around strangers, I can't focus, I get lost and have panic attacks. The last time I tried to follow the route of an unfamiliar journey walking via sat nav I got lost as my intrusive thoughts are so bad and my anxiety makes it hard to focus so I just dissociate. I had paid my housemate to accompany me as I was too anxious to go on my own and so they took over and helped me to calm down and they directed the rest of the way. The last time I had to get public transport (train) by myself, I could not work out where to go and I was too anxious to ask anyone for help and after having a panic attack my partner at the time had to drive to come pick me up from the station and take me to my appointment. They had tried to give me directions but my anxiety and spiralling thoughts made it impossible to follow as the distress made it too overwhelming to focus. 

I'm just a bit confused which descriptor applies to me? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Following and planning a journey would be the one to look at. If you can not undertake any journey the majority of the time because of overwhelming psychological distress then 1E (10 points) would be the appropriate descriptor.
    If you can't follow the route of an unfamilar journey without another person then 1D would be appropriate (10 points)
    Therefore, it really depends on how often you are able to go out.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope that the above comment has been helpful to you @needhelp120 :) I'm sure you're not the only one who's wondered about this!

Do you mind me asking whether you're receiving enough support to help you manage your anxiety and panic attacks at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • needhelp120
    needhelp120 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I hope that the above comment has been helpful to you @needhelp120 :) I'm sure you're not the only one who's wondered about this!

Do you mind me asking whether you're receiving enough support to help you manage your anxiety and panic attacks at the moment? 

It was helpful thanks, I'm still not 100% sure but I figure I'll just put what I have problems with and leave it for the DWP to decide what is appropriate.

I was at the beginning of receiving DBT after a year wait but due to a change in address, my mental health team didn't feel it was safe for them to carry on giving treatment to me with them not being close enough. I've been referred now to my local team for re-assesment and therapy but unfortunately wait lists are long even though I was put as a priority, I won't be seen for another 2 months. So currently, support is at 0. I decided to apply for pip finally as I feel bad relying on strangers I live with and my mother to go out of their way to look after me. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.