If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wait time for assessment appointment

Options
RadLot
RadLot Community member Posts: 9 Listener
After much faffing about gathering documents etc to support my application (and my mini battle with my GP) and having my application deadline extended a little bit, I finally submitted my online pip application. 
I received a text from the DWP and the Independent Assessment Services on 19/09. I've heard nothing since.

About how long is the wait before they send me an appointment for an assessment?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,100 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You’ve only just returned your form. It be several months before you hear anything. I know it’s a long wait but the backlogs are huge in a lot of areas. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • buntytmw
    buntytmw Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Options
    I only waited 4 weeks to have my appointment sent my stuff in on 12th had phone assessment on 21st 
  • buntytmw
    buntytmw Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Options
    Sorry 12 august 21st September 
  • RadLot
    Options
    You’ve only just returned your form. It be several months before you hear anything. I know it’s a long wait but the backlogs are huge in a lot of areas. 
    Thanks for the reply.
    I don't think it is the wait that is making me anxious. I get that there are backlogs - that's basically standard for our government and covid will have a knock-on effect for years no doubt.
    I just don't like basically being in limbo. I would feel better knowing I have an appointment, even if it is months away.
    How far in advance would they give me an appointment? For example, would they send me a letter/text within the next few weeks for an appointment in a few months times? Or would they send me a letter/text in a few months for an appointment a week or two after this?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP review your ‘case’ and then pass it to the assessors. This can take several weeks, you’ll then be on a waiting list and when you near the top you’ll get a letter in the post and possibly a text too. I know it’s hard to say this but please don’t worry, your case will be passed over shortly.
  • RadLot
    Options
    bg844 said:
    PIP review your ‘case’ and then pass it to the assessors. This can take several weeks, you’ll then be on a waiting list and when you near the top you’ll get a letter in the post and possibly a text too. I know it’s hard to say this but please don’t worry, your case will be passed over shortly.
    Thanks.
    I guess I'm just not great at waiting. Before I got ill, I would always be on top of everything in my life. Now I don't seem to be in control of anything and I'm not sure how to get back to some kind of normality
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,100 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    RadLot said:

How far in advance would they give me an appointment? For example, would they send me a letter/text within the next few weeks for an appointment in a few months times? Or would they send me a letter/text in a few months for an appointment a week or two after this?
    They are supposed to give at least 2 weeks notice. It's unlikely you will be sent an appointment months in advance.
    Best thing to do is try to forget about it, otherwise it could be a long wait.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.