Hi, debating rollator — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, debating rollator

Options
tink13
tink13 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
I’ve really struggled with my mobility for awhile now. I’m debating buying myself a rollator but my problem is that I’m young and I’m scared of people saying rude things to me or about me to others.  I already get loads of dirty looks due to how I have a blue badge. I’m in my twenties and it just seems like because my disabilities aren’t obvious people seem to think they don’t exist? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,751 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I thought exactly the same when i was considering using a stick. This was more than 10 years ago so a lot younger back then. I did finally get one and to be honest people didn't really notice.
    I've not used a rollator so can't advice on that. I wouldn't worry about what other people think, just do what is right for you. If you do get some looks just ignore them, they will soon get used to it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You should use what you need to help you znd nor suffer for fear of what orders think its their ignorance 

You might be surprised that people won't give it any thought 

I have used a rollater when I was trying to walk with a prosthetic leg the good bit us they have the seat to allow you to stop and rest if need be 
  • chrisbrook74
    chrisbrook74 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
     I'm in my 40's and used a rollator a few years ago yes I got comments but mainly kids trying to impress their friends. My advice would be to  add your own flair and own it and be confident if you let them see it don't bother you (even if deep down it does) they will stop. 

My daughter who is in her 20's has recently had to use this on a few occasions after being in hospital and she did the same. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.